Thought for the day
Irony and sarcasm somewhat resemble each other, with some notable differences. Sarcasm, easily enough achieved, is often wounding. On the other hand, irony, using “cognitive dissonance”, prompts insight and triggers memories. There is a good example in today’s Gospel: “if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.” Will they really? By the time of writing, Jesus himself had already risen—and still conversion was as remote as ever. With all our convictions and doctrines, what is holding us back?
God of all life, you have given us the greatest assurance of your love in raising Jesus from death. Help us to live every day from your reassuring love
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collection R 6 652.50 Planned Giving R 3 338.88
Southern Cross R 108.00
- PRIESTS’ PROVIDENT FUND COLLECTION – This weekend second collection help, us to provide for all our Retired Priests who gave many years of service in the Archdiocese. Thank you for your support. They remember you in prayer.
- SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM – Our next Baptism will be celebrated in the Cathedral on Sunday, 06 October at the 10h00 Mass. Preparation class will take place on the Thursday, 3rd October at 19h00 in the precincts of the Cathedral Office. Should you wish to baptize your child please arrange an appointment with the Priest before then.
- OCTOBER ROSARY RALLY – At 12h00 on Saturday, 12th October, opposite the Cathedral outside Parliament. Join us together with over 1200 other rallies that will be taking place in South Africa at that time to pray for peace in our country.
- As part of our Fundraising efforts in the Cathedral Parish, there will be A MIDDAY CONCERT AT THE CATHEDRAL on Sunday 13th The choir performing is The Encore Chamber Choir. Cost of the ticket is R50.00 per person and will be available at the door. Looking forward to your support.
- PLEASE NOTE: On Sunday, 13th October the Cape Town Chamber Choir will be singing at the 10h00 Mass at the Cathedral.
- The Finance Department of the Archdiocese of Cape Town is looking for an Experienced, Qualified Accountant to manage and maintain its accounting records reporting to the Financial Administrator of the Archdiocese. For further information, please see the noticeboards for further information
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least SIX MONTHS notice of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- This week in The Southern Cross – Extraordinary Mission Month in SA / Pope: Don’t curse politicians, pray for them / How we can bring hope to the world / Prince Charles to attend canonisation / Six tips for young spiritual seekers.
- Youth Leaders’ Forum – On the Saturday, 05th Ocober at 09h00 to 13h00 at St. Anthony’s Hall at Langa. For further info please call the Youth Office on 021 462 2417.
- Marriage Encounter Weekend – From Friday, 04th to Sunday, 06th October at Maryland Retreat Centre. For further information call 081 355 1304.
The Cathedral Parish is completely committed to ensuring the safety of our children. For further information consult the website of the Archdiocese: adct.org.za using the Ministries Tab or contact our Parochial Coordinator, Margie Cook on 0824618607.