Thought for the day
The four marks of our Christian belonging are our personal journey, our community belonging, our practical discipleship and our adult integration of faith and life. None of us “inhabits” all four dimensions fully, all of the time, and yet all four dimensions should in principle be there. The good news of Pentecost is that the Spirit, poured into our hearts, enables all four aspects of our faith to live: the Spirit helps us in our prayer; the body of Christ is animated by the gifts of the Spirit; our service of others gets its energy from the Spirit and the Spirit “reminds us” of all that Jesus taught. Today, we celebrate discipleship in the community of faith.
We open our hearts and lives to you, Holy Spirit: breathe a breath of new life into us all!
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collection R 11 042, 10 Planned Giving R 11 788, 88
Southern Cross R 84, 00 Priests Medical Fund R 1 106, 50
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- Our congratulations goes to Rev. Fr Sylvester David OMI, who has been nominated by Pope Francis as the new Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Cape Town. Formerly the Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Durban, Fr David is currently the President of the Oblate School of Theology in San Antonio, Texas. Details of the Episcopal Ordination to follow.
- THE SOUTHERN CROSS NEWSPAPER – Catholic World Cup Star aims to score for South Africa; Late Bishop was known for his sense of humour; Holy Land & Pilgrimage in pictures; Why the Church needs a new Pentecost; Fr Ron Rolheiser OMI recalls the late Jean Vanier. THE EDITORIAL: How the Holy Spirit’s souring grace can hurt and heal.
- ARCHDIOCESAN YOUTH DAY CELEBRATION on Saturday 15th June at Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic Church, Lansdowne. Holy Mass at 11h00 will be celebrated by the Archbishop followed by activities until 15h00. Tuckshop and light food available. Parishes to RSVP to email@example.com by 10th
- THE SACRAMENT OF CONFIRMATION is celebrated on 16th June at 10h00
- Please note: THE STATE OF THE NATION ADDRESS will occur on 20th June 2019. The Chancery, the Cathedral and the Cathedral Office will be closed on that day.
- THE SACRAMENT OF FIRST HOLY COMMUNION is celebrated on 23rd June at 10h00
- The Women’s Choir from Cologne Cathedral will be singing at the 17h00 Holy Mass in the Cathedral on Sunday 18th They will give a short concert after the Mass.
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least SIX MONTHS notice of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
The Banns of Upcoming Marriages
03rd August @ 14h00 Rudiger Moser & Kim Moser Convalidation
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- WINTER LIVING THEOLOGY 2019 is from 11 – 13 June 2019. The theme of this year’s workshop is HOW TO LIVE A HAPPY LIFE (The Spirituality & Psychology of well-being). It is presented by Jesuit Father and Clinical Psychologist David Marcotte, SJ, PhD who is currently Assistant Professor of Psychology and Associate Director of Clinical Training at Fordham University, New York. Book your seat either via telephone (011 482 4237) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- MARRIAGE ENCOUNTER WEEKEND on 19 -21 July 2019. It is a weekend to gives couples an opportunity to rekindle the flames of romance. Just call Graham or Patuele on 084 502 3805 or 076 930 3818
- TAIZE PILGRIMAGE:
The Taize Community here in Cape Town is hosting a pilgrimage from 25th to 29th September 2019. All parishes are supporting this initiative and our parish has been asked to host 30 to 50 young people from 18 to 35 years of age by giving them a place to sleep and a light breakfast. They will be collected from this area to be transported by bus to the pilgrimage venue in Rondebosch, where they will take part in a full day’s programme. They will be given lunch and supper there and be transported back to the parish at approximately 9 pm. If you able to accommodate at least 2 people please would you contact Margie Cook on 0824618607.
THE PRAYER FOR VOCATIONS
God, our Father, through our baptism, you invite us into relationship with the person of Jesus, in which we are to become like him and to do what he does.
We ask you to open the hearts and minds of young men and women to living in this relationship with Jesus, so that they may hear his call on their lives and may respond generously.
May those who are discerning a vocation to priesthood or the religious life be guided by the Holy Spirit, so that they can know how best to serve you and to respond to your call.
May they have the courage to say “yes” to serve you and to become instruments to spread the Good News of your Son, Jesus Christ. He who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God forever and ever. Amen.
The Cathedral Parish is completely committed to ensuring the safety of our children. For further information consult the website of the Archdiocese: adct.org.za using the Ministries Tab or contact our Parochial Coordinator, Margie Cook on 0824618607.