Thought for the day
There is a move afoot to replace church teaching on the just war with a more proactive doctrine of just peace. As Paul VI observed long ago, peace is much more than the absence of war. In a world riven by conflict, peace is a matter of discipleship and, at the personal level, a matter of deliberate choice even in the everyday conflicts of our ordinary lives. The prayer for peace goes well beyond praying for individualistic freedom from stress.
O God, though the human race is divided by dissension and discord, yet we know that by testing us you change our hearts to prepare them for reconciliation. Even more, by your Spirit you move human hearts that enemies may speak to each other again, adversaries may join hands, and peoples seek to meet together. Amen.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collections R 7 178, 50 Planned Giving R 4 600, 00
Southern Cross R 96, 00
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- THE SOUTHERN CROSS – The Church can’t sell God; Appearances of the Risen Christ; Bishops call for National Plan of Action; Fr David Marcotte SJ: Spreading Happiness; Pray with the Pope this June. THIS WEEK’S EDITORIAL: Bishops’ Call: For the People.
- The Parish Finance Council Meeting on Tuesday 28th May at 18h30 in the Leslie Johnson Memorial Centre.
- The Parish Pastoral Council Meeting on Thursday 30th May at 18h30 in the parish room at Nazareth House.
- THE SOLEMNITY OF THE ASCENSION OF OUR LORD IS CELEBRATED ON THE WEEKEND OF 01 & 02 JUNE!
- Please note: THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM at the 10h00 Holy Mass on 02nd The instruction class for both the parents and godparents will be on Thursday 30th May at 19h00 in the Leslie Johnson Memorial Centre.
- SHONA MASS on 02nd June at 11h45 in the Cathedral.
- ARCHDIOCESAN YOUTH DAY CELEBRATION on Saturday 15th June at Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic Church, Lansdowne. Holy Mass at 11h00 will be celebrated by the Archbishop followed by activities until 15h00. Tuckshop and light food available. Parishes to RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10th
- THE SACRAMENT OF CONFIRMATION is celebrated on 16th June at 10h00
- THE SACRAMENT OF FIRST HOLY COMMUNION is celebrated on 23rd June at 10h00
- The Women’s Choir from Cologne Cathedral will be singing at the 17h00 Holy Mass in the Cathedral on Sunday 18th They will give a short concert after the Mass.
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least SIX MONTHS notice of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
The Banns of Upcoming Marriages
08th June @ 17h30 Roberto Berardo & Christina Lubrani
03rd August @ 14h00 Rudiger Moser & Kim Moser Convalidation
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- MARRIAGE ENCOUNTER WEEKEND on 19 -21 July 2019. It is a weekend to gives couples an opportunity to rekindle the flames of romance. Just call Graham or Patuele on 084 502 3805 or 076 930 3818
- WINTER LIVING THEOLOGY 2019 is from 11 – 13 June 2019. The theme of this year’s workshop is HOW TO LIVE A HAPPY LIFE (The Spirituality & Psychology of well-being). It is presented by Jesuit Father and Clinical Psychologist David Marcotte, SJ, PhD who is currently Assistant Professor of Psychology and Associate Director of Clinical Training at Fordham University, New York. Book your seat either via telephone (011 482 4237) or email (email@example.com)
- TAIZE PILGRIMAGE:
The Taize Community here in Cape Town is hosting a pilgrimage from 25 to 29 September. All parishes are supporting this initiative and our parish has been asked to host 30 to 50 young people from 18 to 35 years of age by giving them a place to sleep and a light breakfast. They will be collected from this area to be transported by bus to the pilgrimage venue in Rondebosch, where they will take part in a full day’s programme. They will be given lunch and supper there and be transported back to the parish at approximately 9 pm. If you able to accommodate at least 2 people please would you contact Margie Cook on 0824618607.
THE PRAYER FOR VOCATIONS
God, our Father, through our baptism, you invite us into relationship with the person of Jesus, in which we are to become like him and to do what he does.
We ask you to open the hearts and minds of young men and women to living in this relationship with Jesus, so that they may hear his call on their lives and may respond generously.
May those who are discerning a vocation to priesthood or the religious life be guided by the Holy Spirit, so that they can know how best to serve you and to respond to your call.
May they have the courage to say “yes” to serve you and to become instruments to spread the Good News of your Son, Jesus Christ. He who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God forever and ever. Amen.
The Cathedral Parish is completely committed to ensuring the safety of our children. For further information consult the website of the Archdiocese: adct.org.za using the Ministries Tab or contact our Coordinator, Margie Cook on 0824618607.