Thought for the day
Our Gospel today describes two very old people – Simeon and Anna – who are very attractive in their old age. They have lived prayerful lives of faith and, in particular, of hope and expectation. Being wise, they are people of discernment and they recognise the moment of grace, the coming of the Messiah. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to be like them in old age? The secret is to be now what we hope to be then. If we wish to be serene, wise, discerning, full of faith – then now is the time: As St Paul says: “See, now is the acceptable time; see, now is the day of salvation!” (2 Cor. 6:2)
Abba, Father, God of all time, you call us to become your children. Send your Holy Spirit into our hearts that we may live our faith serenely in the present moment and give us grace to recognise the time of your appearing.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collection R 8 977, 40 Planned Giving R 6 568, 88
Southern Cross R 84, 00
Thank you for your generosity and support!
- PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS A SECOND COLLECTION THIS WEEKEND – in aid of the Holy Childhood
- PLEASE NOTE THAT NEXT SUNDAY WE CELEBRATE OUR PATRONAL FEAST OF OUR LADY OF THE FLIGHT INTO EGYPT.
- Friday 07th February at 17h30 – Eucharistic Adoration and Benediction at Nazareth House Main Chapel.
- DUE TO THE OPENING OF PARLIAMENT on 13th FEBRUARY 2020, please note that the Chancery, Cathedral, Cathedral Offices and Precincts will be closed whole day.
- THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM – Our next Baptism will be celebrated in the Cathedral on Sunday, 01st MARCH 2020 at the 10h00 Mass. The date of the Preparation class will be on Thursday 27th February at 19h00. Should you wish to baptize your child please arrange an appointment with the Priest before then.
- To mark the anniversary of the passing of the Termination of Pregnancy Act, and to pray for a change of heart on the part of all who disregard the rights of unborn children, Mass will be celebrated on Monday 03rd February at the Cathedral by the Vicar General, The Very Rev. Peter-John Pearson. All welcome to attend. Hosted by the Catholic Parliamentary Liaison Office.
- The Season of Lent begins on Wednesday 26th February 2020. Times of Masses in the various Mass Centres will be published in the forthcoming parish newsletter.
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church AT LEAST SIX MONTHS NOTICE of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
08th Feb at 12h00 Tanguy Biang-Mengue & Prudence Ngubo
08th Feb at 16h00 Michael du Preez & Robyn-Jade Ryan
07th Mar at 13h30 Russell Kingwell & Sonia Nunes
09th Apr at 14h00 Chester Kruger & Lisa Schaffers
18th Apr at 10h30 Leslie Adigbo & Nnennia Ejebe
02nd May at 14h00 Carlo Caldeira & Genevieve da Silva
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- 22nd February at 10h00 Reverend Theo April will be Ordained to the Priesthood. The venue is Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Parow.
- THE SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY OF THE PARISH urgently requires non-perishable food and toiletries for their pantry. Any assistance in that regard will be greatly appreciated. Please contact Mrs Gail Bester, Local President of the SVP on 072 591 8812.
- THE RCIA RITE OF ELECTION on Friday 28th February at 19h00 in the Cathedral.
- SUNDAY 16th February 2020 we in the Archdiocese commemorate the Day for the Sick, Aged and Physically Challenged. The venue is Schoenstatt Training Centre in Constantia. The day starts at 10h00 and Holy Mass will be celebrated by Rev. Fr. Hugh O’ Connor at 11h30 followed by the anointing of the Sick. All who wish to book the served lunch at the cost of R55-00, should inform the Training Centre by 10th February (021-794-3132). Those who prefer to bring their own picnic lunch, are welcome to do so. The “Day” will conclude with entertainment from 2.30 to 3.30 pm
- Are you feeling alone or disillusioned in your marriage? Need a lifeline, then come and experience a Retrouvaille weekend! When: 28 February – 01 March 2020 or Email: email@example.com or Contact : 074 175 7523
- NAZARETH HOUSE CAPE TOWN is looking for volunteers to help in the Charity Shop. If you can give them some of your time, they would be very grateful. Please contact the Sister Superior, Sr. Gladys Kubai CSN on 021 461 1635.