Thought for the day
The famous reflection of Teilhard de Chardin suggests itself: The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.
The uncertainties of today are evident, political, economic and environmental. What can we as people of faith contribute? Again in the words of Teilhard, “there is something wonderful afoot in the universe.” The eyes of faith see the deeper pattern.
God of the cosmos, you hold everything in being. God of love, you love the human race. God of our hearts, helps us to see your handiwork not only in the universe, but in the everyday events of our lives. Amen.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICE
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collection R 6 798, 80 Planned Giving R 2 208, 88
Southern Cross R 106, 00
- You are cordially invited to attend SOLEMN VESPERS that will be held in the Cathedral on Friday 23rd August at 19h00. The occasion is for Blessing of the Insignia and the Public Oath of Fidelity by Bishop-elect Sylvester David OMI who will be ordained to the Episcopate on Sunday 25th August at 14h00.
- The Episcopal Ordination of Rev. Fr Sylvester David, OMI as the new Auxiliary Bishop of Cape Town will take place on Sunday 25th August at 14h00 in the City Hall. It is a ticketed celebration and every parish has been given only 9 tickets, which includes one for the parish deacon(s). Please note that the 17h00 Holy Mass for that Sunday has been cancelled.
- EARLY NOTIFICATION OF INCREASED ACTIVITY AND ROAD CLOSURES FOR THE SANLAM CAPE TOWN MARATHON on Sunday 15th September 2019.
- FULLY FURBISHED FLAT TO RENT – 09 SOPHIA STREET, ORANJEZICHT. For further information please contact Cristel Wykeham on 021 465 1920
- THE WOMEN’S CHOIR FROM COLOGNE CATHEDRAL will be singing at the 17h00 Holy Mass in the Cathedral next Sunday 18th August. They will give a short concert after the Mass. The Celebrant and Homilist is Rev. Fr Stefan Hippler and the concelebrant is Monsignor Robert Kleine, Dean of Cologne Cathedral
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least SIX MONTHS notice of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
The Banns of Upcoming Marriages
28th September at 14h00 Jason Williams & Maunique Naidoo
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- THE YOUNG ADULT GROUP OF THE PARISH will lead the praying of the Rosary in the Cathedral on Sunday 25th August at 09h00. They extend an invitation to all parishioners to join them.
- Retrouvaille:A Weekend Away Can Give Your Marriage a Chance. Retrouvaille is a marriage help programme that gives couples the opportunity to take time out, to get away, and examine their lives together in a real and realistic way. It is based on the belief that marriage is the most significant relationship on earth and is worth investing your time, energy and efforts to make it the best it can be. The weekend is more worthwhile than can ever be explained. For confidential information about Retrouvaille, or to register for the next weekend which will take place in Cape Town from the 13thto 15th September visit the web site at helpourmarriage.com or phone 074 175 7523 and we will help you.
- TAIZE PILGRIMAGE:
The Taize Community here in Cape Town is hosting a pilgrimage from 25th to 29th September 2019. All parishes are supporting this initiative and our parish has been asked to host 30 to 50 young people from 18 to 35 years of age by giving them a place to sleep and a light breakfast. They will be collected from this area to be transported by bus to the pilgrimage venue in Rondebosch, where they will take part in a full day’s programme. They will be given lunch and supper there and be transported back to the parish at approximately 9 pm. If you able to accommodate at least 2 people please would you contact Margie Cook on 0824618607.
The Cathedral Parish is completely committed to ensuring the safety of our children. For further information consult the website of the Archdiocese: adct.org.za using the Ministries Tab or contact our Parochial Coordinator, Margie Cook on 0824618607.
Acknowledgement – Picture taken from avcatholics.org