Thought for the day
How did any of us make the journey towards faith in Christ? No doubt a great part of it is simply what we received – usually from family. At some point, did I make a conscious choice? Perhaps at other times, I felt like walking away from the faith project? What kept me going? Did a more personal ownership of faith result? Perhaps I felt the intuition of John O’Donahue, “Faith is helpless attraction to the divine.” In spite of everything, perhaps in spite of myself, somehow it is part of who I am.
Mysterious God, we are those who have seen and at the same time not seen. Help to look beyond the simple gifts of each day to see you the giver behind – and in – every gift. Help us acknowledge Jesus that we may know true blessedness in believing.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collections R11 377, 80 Planned Giving R 6 788, 88
Southern Cross R 90, 00 Good Friday R 3 109, 10 (Nazareth House)
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- PLEASE NOTE THIS WEEKEND AT ALL MASSES A SPECIAL SECOND COLLECTION FOR THE VICTIMS OF CYCLONE IDAI AND CYCLONE KENNETH.
- THE SOUTHERN CROSS – How can we choose whom to vote for; New column’s wise advice for couples; Human ancestry: We are all African; Behind the scenes: How Pope Francis was elected; What the Pope wants from Africa. THIS WEEK’S EDITORIAL: South Africa after 25 Years of Democracy.
PLEASE NOTE: that The Southern Cross is scheduled for a price increase as from 12th May 2019. The cost of the weekly newspaper will be R12 per copy. The newspaper is also available in digital format at R420 per annum
- DIVINE MERCY SUNDAY this year is celebrated on 28th The Divine Mercy Feast will be celebrated at Corpus Christi Catholic Church, Wynberg. Confessions will be at 14h00, the Holy Hour will commence at 15h00 and the Holy Mass of the Feast will commence at 16h00.
- THE SACRAMENT OF CONFIRMATION is celebrated on 16th June at 10h00
- THE SACRAMENT OF FIRST HOLY COMMUNION is celebrated on 23rd June at 10h00
- The Women’s Choir from Cologne Cathedral will be singing at the 17h00 Holy Mass in the Cathedral on Sunday 18th They will give a short concert after the Mass.
The Banns of Upcoming Marriages
04th May @ 10h00 Tomas Chamaunga & Mary Washa Convalidation
@ 14h00 Michael Carroll & Janitta Brandes
25th May @ 14h00 Ivan Joubert & Zahnne Fullerton
08th June @ 17h30 Roberto Berardo & Christina Lubrani
03rd August @ 14h00 Rudiger Moser & Kim Moser Convalidation
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least SIX MONTHS notice of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
The Cathedral Parish is completely committed to ensuring the safety of our children. For further information consult the website of the Archdiocese: adct.org.za using the Ministries Tab or contact our Coordinator, Margie Cook on 0824618607.
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- 11 May 2019 at 12 noon
Join the National Rosary Rally by praying the rosary for peace at the Louis Botha statue outside Parliament and opposite the Cathedral.
- Taize Pilgrimage:
The Taize Community here in Cape Town is hosting a pilgrimage from 25 to 29 September. All parishes are supporting this initiative and our parish has been asked to host 30 to 50 young people from 18 to 35 years of age by giving them a place to sleep and a light breakfast. They will be collected from this area to be transported by bus to the pilgrimage venue in Rondebosch, where they will take part in a full day’s programme. They will be given lunch and supper there and be transported back to the parish at approximately 9 pm. If you able to accommodate at least 2 people please would you contact Margie Cook on 0824618607.
“Humanity will not find peace until it turns trustfully to divine mercy” St Faustina’s Diary, p.132
* Please note that Fr Luigi Benigni will be away as part of his annual leave from Sunday the 28th April until Monday the 13th May 2019. During this time he will also be doing his annual Retreat.