The Thought for the Day
It is often forgotten that Pentecost is first of all a Jewish feast, actually a harvest festival. That sense of “in gathering” is also a theme of our Christian Pentecost, as we see the beginning of the church. By the time of Jesus, Shavuot – to give it its Hebrew name – also marked the giving of the Law on Mount Sinai. This also fits our Christian Shavuot as long as we recall that Law, Torah, meant instruction and indeed a whole way of life under God’s grace and guidance. It was always interior and the descent of the Holy Spirit takes this inner reality to new levels.
Send, O Father, the Holy Spirit of your Son into our lives and communities. May the joy we know in the Spirit help us to be joyful bearers of the Good News to our contemporaries.
The Divine Office – Week III
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S COLLECTIONS
Collections R 8 105, 15 Planned Giving R 2 457, 77
Southern Cross R 50, 00 Medical Fund R 2 983, 60
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- THE RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION FOR ADULTS (RCIA) – is a process developed by the Catholic Church for prospective converts to Catholicism. Candidates are gradually introduced to aspects of Catholic belief and practices. The next RCIA group will commence on 3 June 2018. Please contact Deacon Steve or Joan Armstrong 082 940 3137 or Ronald Mubaiwa on 083 732 5744 to register for program this year. Registration closes 31 May 2018. The RCIA group will meet at 09h00 each Sunday in the Parish Centre and then attend 10.00am Mass thereafter.
- THE SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY is appealing to parishioners for storage space when donations are received. The storage space needs to be accessible to both the Parish Priest and the SVP Executive.
- IN THE SOUTHERN CROSS – Bishop: Mandela was no ‘sell out’; Theologian Nun 50 years as a Sister; New free app for praying; Social Media: Beware of what you share; With Mary and Jesus in the Holy Land. The Editorial: Our Catholic Identity.
- THE CATHEDRAL OUTREACH – For those individuals who have received wool and have completed their knitting ready for collection and distribution, please contact Anik on 021 439 6987
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least six months notice of your intent to get married. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry
THE PRAYER FOR RAIN
O God, in whom we live and move, and have our being, grant us sufficient rain,
so that, being supplied with what sustains us in his present life,
we may seek more confidently what sustains us for eternity.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
27th May at 12h00 THE CATHEDRAL PARISH FÊTE AND FOODFAIR.
Venue is St Mary’s Primary School in Tuinplein. If you are interested in having a stall, please contact Inés on 073 334 9631 or Vanessa on 084 725 6382. R100 Coupon Booklets Are On Sale Now!
31st May at 18h00 FIRST PROFESSION MASS for the Congregation of the Sisters of Nazareth (CSN) at Nazareth House Main Chapel.
03rd June at 10h00 CAPE TOWN CHAMBER CHOIR will be singing at the Cathedral for the Solemnity of Corpus Christi.
10th June at 12h00 HOLY MASS AT THE CATHEDRAL to mark the 200TH Anniversary of the Catholic Church in Southern Africa. The Celebrant will be Archbishop Stephen Brislin.
24th June at 14h00 CLOSING MASS OF THE BICENTENNIAL in the Bellville Velodrome. Admission will be by ticket only. If you wish to attend, please register at the weekend masses on 26th and 27th May only.
08th July at 19h00 The University Of Warsaw Collegium Musicum Chamber Choir Concert at the Cathedral. Cost of tickets is R100 per person. Soirée in the Cathedral Hall after the concert.