The Thought for the Day
In the Bible, things from everyday life are used to speak of God. Two good examples would be those staples of the Mediterranean, the olive and the vine. In particular, the vine lends itself to metaphorical reference. It takes great tending; at the same time, it is obvious that even the furthest tendril “must with the vine be one.” By staying connected and with careful pruning, the fruit itself is “pleasant to the sight and good for food” (Genesis 2:9). No need to mention the wine!
Help us, God of all growth, to be one with the true vine, Christ our Lord. May the difficult experiences which prune us make us more abundant in the fruits of the Spirit, “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control” (Galatians 5:22–23). Amen.
The Divine Office – Week I
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S COLLECTIONS
Collections R 5 745, 80 Planned Giving R 6 715, 54
Southern Cross R 68, 00 Ecclesiastical E. Fund R 3 204, 70
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- THE RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION FOR ADULTS (RCIA) – is a process developed by the Catholic Church for prospective converts to Catholicism. Candidates are gradually introduced to aspects of Catholic belief and practices. The next RCIA group will commence on 3 June 2018. Please contact Deacon Steve or Joan Armstrong 082 940 3137 or Ronald Mubaiwa on 083 732 5744 to register for program this year. Registration closes 31 May 2018. The RCIA group will meet at 09h00 each Sunday in the Parish Centre and then attend 10.00am Mass thereafter.
- THE SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY is appealing to parishioners for storage space when donations are received. The storage space needs to be accessible to both the Parish Priest and the SVP Executive.
- IN THE SOUTHERN CROSS – US Speaker to give insights on Racism in SA Talks; Young Catholics: Why we are in the SVP; Engaged couple became Priest and Nun; Is your T-Shirt worth a human life?; How praying the Rosary is like music. The Editorial: Our innings to a century.
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
05th May at 14h00 Dale Petersen & Caryn Ziervogel
12th May at 10h00 Sven Ruygrok & Francis Catherine Williamson
12th May at 15h00 Laurie Richardson & Samantha de Oliveira
19th May at 16h00 John Ross & Simone Swanepoel Convalidation
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least six months notice of your intent to get married. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry
PRAYER FOR RAIN
O God, in whom we live and move, and have our being, grant us sufficient rain, so that, being supplied
with what sustains us in this present life, we may seek more confidently what sustains us for eternity.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
02nd May at 19h00 HOUSE MASS at the residence of Ms Barbara Wildner. Flat 19, Silvretta Flats, corner of Camp and Kloofnek Roads. Park in Kloofnek Road.
06th May at 10h00 THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM. Parents and guardians, please contact the parish clergy to register your children for baptism. Baptism Istruction Class on Thursday 03rd May at 19h00 in the Leslie Johnson Memorial Centre.
12th May at 09h30 THE SCHOENSTATT GIRLS’ YOUTH are once again hosting a fun day for girls between the ages of 8 and 14 at Schoenstatt in Contantia. If you know anyone interested
please contact us for an indemnity form and to book in for the day! If you know anyone who might be interested in the please can you pass on the information – we would be
very grateful! Please phone 021 423 8136 and ask for Sr. Ann-Marie Nicholas ISSM
12th May at 10h30 THE ARCHDIOCESAN HEALTHCARE WORKERS ASSOCIATION will be celebrating their annual mass at the Cathedral. Any Catholics in the healthcare profession are invited to attend.
13th May THE ASCENSION OF THE LORD & MOTHER’S DAY
27th May at 12h00 THE CATHEDRAL PARISH FÊTE AND FOODFAIR. Venue is St Mary’s Primary School in Tuinplein. If you are interested in having a stall, please contact Inés on 073 334 9631 or Vanessa on 084 725 6382. SEE YOU THERE!!!
08th July at 19h00 THE UNIVERSITY OF WARSAW COLLEGIUM MUSICUM CHAMBER CHOIR CONCERT at the Cathedral. Cost of tickets is R100 per person. Soirée in the Cathedral Hall after the concert.
- Please note that Fr. Celestine Okekeofojebe will be away for part of his annual leave from 03rd May until 16th