|THE SACRAMENT OF RECONCILIATION|
|THE CATHEDRAL: Currently by appointment only|
|NAZARETH HOUSE: Thursdays before the First Friday of each month 09h15 – 10h00 or anytime on request.|
COMMUNION TO THE SICK IN THE PARISH – Is there someone in your family who is sick at home or in hospital, kindly contact any of the parish clergy will arrange for the Sacraments of the Anointing of the Sick and Holy Communion.
THE THIRD SUNDAY OF ADVENT – YEAR B
The First Reading
Isaiah 61: 1-2, 10-11
The Responsorial Psalm
Luke 1: 46-50, 53-54
R/ My soul shall exalt in my God.
My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my
Saviour, for he has regarded the low estate of
his handmaiden. For behold, henceforth all
generations will call me blessed. R/.
For he who is mighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his name. And his mercy is on those who fear him
from generation to generation. R/.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent empty away.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy. R/.
The Second Reading
1 Thessalonians 5: 16-24
The Gospel Reading
John 1: 6-8, 19-28
Thought for the day
In the words of John’s Gospel, John the Baptist came as a witness, to speak for the light, the true light who was coming into the world. In this season of Advent, the Baptist points us towards the coming one and he invites us to reflect on our need of the light of Jesus in the darkness of our lives. Darkness means many things: a sense of being lost, a lack of direction, helplessness, sin or indeed lack of faith. This Christmas, may the God who said “Let light shine out of darkness,” shine in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 4:6).
We come before you in the darkness of our lives, aware of our need of Christ, the light of the world. Let us receive him in faith so that we may become witnesses to that light which has truly come into the world.
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least SIX MONTHS notice of your intention to do so. Please note that current regulations in the Archdiocese limits Church attendance at Weddings to 25 people. Please contact the Cathedral office either telephonically or via email to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEK’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collection R 1 221, 10 Planned Giving R 24 989, 99
Calendars R 80, 00 Advent Appeal R 1 943, 00
- 2021 LITURGICAL CALENDARS are now on sale now for R20 each.
- PLEASE NOTE that Fr Rohan is presently supplying in the Parish of Vredenburg on weekends. Since the parish consists of five churches in five areas, he is assisting Bishop Emeritus Francisco de Gouveia, who is resident in Langebaan, with the celebration of their weekend masses and other Sacramental celebrations.
- An ADVENT CAROL SERVICE will be held in the Cathedral on Sunday 20th December 2020 at 18h00. With a limited capacity of 100 people due to Covid-19 restrictions, we kindly request that should you wish to attend this service that you please register your attendance through the Cathedral Office.
- PLEASE NOTE – that for the next three weekends we will have a SECOND COLLECTION in aid of the Bishop’s Advent Appeal. If you wish to make use of envelopes, these are available in the foyers of the various churches.
- The celebration of the WEEKDAY 13h10 LUNCHTIME MASSES at the Cathedral has recommenced. Please note that the Cathedral will only be opened from 12h30 for people to register their attendance and take temperatures.
- PLEASE NOTE: That the PENITENTIAL SERVICES with General Absolution will be celebrated next weekend after all the Sunday Masses.
- Kindly note that our Saturday Vigil Masses for Sunday recommences on Saturday 26th December 2020 at 18h00.
- The Christmastide Timetable is published below. Please ensure that you register your attendance at any of these masses. You can also make use of the registration feature on the Cathedral Website Homepage to facilitate ease of registration. Whilst Nazareth House mass times are being published, please note that the Main Chapel is still not open for public worship, but only to the Nazareth Sisters and those parishioners resident in Nazareth House and Larmenier Village respectively.
24th December 2020
20h00 Cathedral Most Rev. Stephen Brislin, Archbishop & Rev. Fr Michael Clement SAC
20h00 Nazareth House Rev. Dr Ricardo Smuts
20h00 Villa Maria Rev. Fr Luigi Benigni
25th December 2020
07h30 Villa Maria Rev. Fr Luigi Benigni
08h45 Nazareth House Rev. Dr Ricardo Smuts
10h00 Cathedral Right Rev. Sylvester David OMI, Auxiliary
Bishop & Rev. Fr Michael Clement SAC
26th December 2020
18h00 Cathedral Rev. Fr Luigi Benigni
27th December 2020
07h30 Villa Maria Rev. Dr Ricardo Smuts
08h45 Nazareth House Rev. Fr Luigi Benigni
10h00 Cathedral Rev. Dr Ricardo Smuts
31st December 2020
20h00 Cathedral Right Rev. Sylvester David OMI, Auxiliary
Bishop & Rev. Fr Michael Clement SAC
20h00 Nazareth House Rev. Fr Luigi Benigni
20h00 Villa Maria Rev. Dr Ricardo Smuts
01st January 2021
08h00 Villa Maria Rev. Dr Ricardo Smuts
09h00 Nazareth House Rev. Fr Luigi Benigni
10h00 Cathedral Most Rev. Stephen Brislin, Archbishop & Rev. Fr Michael Clement SAC