THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
Every so often, we catch a glimpse of the “something more” that God has in store for us. These fleeting experiences are to be treasured: the birth of my first child, falling in love, a sense of “being held” by God’s presence. Such experiences may help us approach the Transfiguration. Like all transcendent experiences, it is fleeting and yet it etches a memory and leaves a longing. What should we do? Practice listening to him. Be not afraid. We cannot always be “on the mountain” and yet what happens on the heights can help us on the lowlands of the everyday.
Lord, listening sounds so easy and yet is such hard work! Guide us as we listen to your Son, whose word is alive, who is himself the way, the truth and the life.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collection R 11 292, 50 Planned Giving R 14 458, 88
Southern Cross R 84, 00 Lenten Appeal WK 1 R 3 600, 30
Thank you for your generosity and support!
- THE DEVOTION OF THE STATIONS OF THE CROSS will be held in all three Mass Centres on the Fridays of Lent, starting at 18h00.
- The Illinois Wesleyan University Choir and The Cape Town Youth Choir will hold a joint concert at the Cathedral on Tuesday, 10th March at 19h30. The costs are R80/R50 (Students/Pensioners). Tickets are sold at the door.
- THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM – Our next Baptism will be celebrated on Sunday, 03rd MAY 2020. The date of the Preparation class will be on Thursday 30th April at 19h00. Should you wish to baptize your child please arrange an appointment with the Priest before then.
- PUBLIC LECTURE: 17th March at 19h00, St Michael’s Catholic Church in Rondebosch by Dr Jan Jans, from Tilburg University on Querida Amazonia: A Case of Jesuitism? Unpacking issues and controversies sparked by the post-synodal apostolic exhortation “Beloved Amazon” of Pope Francis (dated 2nd February 2020).
- Wool has arrived for those who are willing to offer their time and talent to knit or crochet for babies (jerseys, beanies and booties for new-borns), elderly (knee blankets, beanies and bed socks) and children and adult beanies. Please contact Anik Broadhurst on 021 439 6987 or 083 977 1099 to organize delivery of wool.
- THE YOUNG ADULTS GROUP is extending an invitation to all the youth of the parish to join the group. For those willing to join, they may contact their chairman, Takudzwa Gutsa, on phone 071 080 7485.
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church AT LEAST SIX MONTHS NOTICE of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
04th Apr at 14h00 Chester Kruger & Lisa Schaffers
18th Apr at 10h30 Leslie Adigbo & Nnennia Ejebe
02nd May at 14h00 Marco Caldeira & Genevieve da Silva
06th June at 11h00 Mark Lemki & Jacqueline Kombe
25th July at 14h00 Steve Davids & Loren Newman
ARCHDIOCESAN POLICY DOCUMENT:
THE PREVENTION OF COMMUNICABLE DISEASES
Dear parishioners and all visitors,
Considering the seriousness of the Coronavirus we wish to take precautions in this regard and to exercise great care in creating a worship space which is safe – especially for those who have impaired immune systems. Due to a new policy document, dated 04th March 2020, the following will be implemented with immediate effect in our worship:
- No Holy Water in any fonts. The Rite of Asperges to be used instead.
- No more shaking and holding of hands. There will be no more shacking of hands for the sign of peace.
- Reception of the Eucharist on the hand. We request that communion be received on the hand. Where it is necessary to give communion on the tongue, care must be taken so to avoid touching saliva.
- No more reception of the Chalice. For the distribution of Holy Communion will only be received by one species.
- Cough and sneeze on your arm. Sometimes the term sneezing in the elbow is used as opposed to a handkerchief or into your hands.
This will certainly be a period of adjustment for all of us and we implore your understanding. We continue to pray for all those infected and affected by this virus.
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- NAZARETH HOUSE FAITH SHARING GROUP will meet on Thursdays at 10h00. For information phone Greg Landman 082 598 4095
- THE SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY OF THE PARISH urgently requires non-perishable food and toiletries for their pantry. Any assistance in that regard will be greatly appreciated. Please contact Mrs Gail Bester, Local President of the SVP on 072 591 8812.
- NAZARETH HOUSE CAPE TOWN is looking for volunteers to help in the Charity Shop. If you can give them some of your time, they would be very grateful. Please contact the Sister Superior, Sr. Gladys Kubai CSN on 021 461 1635.
- SINGLE MATURE WOMAN looking for a separate entrance or bachelor pad in Cape Town area. Please contact Tina on 084 443 2784 if you are able to assist.
PARISH FUNDRAISING PROJECT
We would like to draw your attention to the Fundraising Project for the Cathedral Parish. It is Liturgical in nature, specifically to raise funds to purchase new Cassocks and Surplices for the Altar Servers. We call on your generous support in the coming months.