THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
The temptations of Jesus are not at all temptations to this or that sin but rather fundamental options which matter for the direction of his life. Jesus was tempted in the course of his ministry to choose other ways of being God’s prophet, the Messiah or anointed one. In a less obvious way, we too can be attracted by choices which can shape the way our life unfolds. We ask ourselves, what do I live on? What’s my true goal? Where is my nourishment? The human, no less than the Kingdom, is more than food and drink. Only the Word of God truly nourishes and illuminates.
Lord, in you we live and move and have our being and we thank you. Help us to place you and your Word at the heart of all we do and, even more, at the core of who we are.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collection R 7 495, 20 Planned Giving R 5 588, 88
Southern Cross R 1 044, 00 Votive Candles R 1 904, 45
Thank you for your generosity and support!
- THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM – Our next Baptism will be celebrated on Sunday, 03rd MAY 2020. The date of the Preparation class will be on Thursday 30th April at 19h00. Should you wish to baptize your child please arrange an appointment with the Priest before then.
- SHROVE TUESDAY THANK YOU – After the payment of the wine, the laundry and a donation to Nazareth House for the use of their facilities we made a profit of R 3 139,77. Thank you to everyone who attended and supported this fundraising event. Also a very big ‘thank you’ to all those ladies and gents who assisted in flipping pancakes over hot stoves and their donations of delicious fillings. It was an enjoyable evening! God bless and may you have a holy and spiritual Lent!
- Wool has arrived for those who are willing to offer their time and talent to knit or crochet for babies (jerseys, beanies and booties for new-borns), elderly (knee blankets, beanies and bed socks) and children and adult beanies. Please contact Anik Broadhurst on 021 4396987 or 083 977 1099 to organize delivery of wool.
- ST MARY’S PRIMARY SCHOOL FEEDING SCHEME: The Good Start Trust (PBO No 930061524) would welcome our support of our parish school in any of the following ways:
- Donations of Full Cream Long-life Milk which can be dropped off at the School in Tuin Plein;
- EFT transfers to Standard Bank, Branch: 024109, Account No: 421322071 (with Beneficiary Reference St Mary’s + Your Name) in order to purchase e’Pap;
- Help with washing up from 08h00 to 09h00 on one or more days a week.
For more information contact Aletta on 076 324 6292.
- THE YOUNG ADULTS GROUP is extending an invitation to all the youth of the parish to join the group. For those willing to join, they may contact their chairman, Takudzwa Gutsa, on phone 071 080 7485.
- The Southern African Catholic Bishops Conference (SACBC) has made available a booklet for the Season of Lent titled “Blessed are the peacemakers” (Matt 5:9). As followers of Christ, we are called to be peacemakers and do our part to end the culture of violence. Our bishops have called for the 40 days of LENTEN PRAYER, FASTING, REFLECTION, REPENTANCE AND ACTION to combat the scourge of violence that has plagued our country. If you require an electronic copy please send an email to the Cathedral Office.
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church AT LEAST SIX MONTHS NOTICE of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
07th Mar at 13h30 Russell Kingwell & Sonia Nunes
04th Apr at 14h00 Chester Kruger & Lisa Schaffers
18th Apr at 10h30 Leslie Adigbo & Nnennia Ejebe
02nd May at 14h00 Marco Caldeira & Genevieve da Silva
06th June at 11h00 Mark Lemki & Jacqueline Kombe
25th July at 14h00 Steve Davids & Loren Newman
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- CONCERT AT THE CATHEDRAL – On Tuesday 10th March at 19h30, the Cape Town Youth Choir will have a concert at the Cathedral.
- NAZARETH HOUSE FAITH SHARING GROUP will meet on Thursdays at 10h00. For information phone Greg Landman 082 598 4095
- HOUSE MASS on Wednesday 04th March at 19h00. The address is Nº 205, Lochinvar Flats, Quarry Hill Road, Tamboerskloof, home of Mr Angelo Gobbato.
- THE SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY OF THE PARISH urgently requires non-perishable food and toiletries for their pantry. Any assistance in that regard will be greatly appreciated. Please contact Mrs Gail Bester, Local President of the SVP on 072 591 8812.
- NAZARETH HOUSE CAPE TOWN is looking for volunteers to help in the Charity Shop. If you can give them some of your time, they would be very grateful. Please contact the Sister Superior, Sr. Gladys Kubai CSN on 021 461 1635.
- SINGLE MATURE WOMAN looking for a separate entrance or bachelor pad in Cape Town area. Please contact Tina on 084 443 2784 if you are able to assist.
PARISH FUNDRAISING PROJECT
We would like to draw your attention to the Fundraising Project for the Cathedral Parish. It is Liturgical in nature, specifically to raise funds to purchase new Cassocks and Surplices for the Altar Servers. We call on your generous support in the coming months.