Thought for the day
In John’s Gospel, the first thing that any human being says of Jesus is found on the lips of John the Baptist: Look, there is the Lamb of God. We think naturally and correctly of the Passover lamb and of the Passover, the feast which marks the liberation of Israel. To be set free is a wonderful experience and we could reflect on how I experience my freedom in Christ. From what have I been set free? (For example, fear of death, the risk of absurdity, sins and false directions in life…) Even more important, for what have I been set free?
Jesus, Lamb of God, help me to recognise whatever in me is holding me back from life in abundance: give me your life, your forgiveness, your healing. In you, I put my trust.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collection R 10 317, 20 Planned Giving R 1 178, 88
Southern Cross R 180, 00
Thank you for your generosity and support!
- THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM – Our next Baptism will be celebrated in the Cathedral on Sunday, 02ND FEBRUARY 2020 at the 10h00 Mass. The date of the Preparation class will be on Thursday 30th January at 19h00. Should you wish to baptize your child please arrange an appointment with the Priest before then.
- THE VOCATIONS TEAM of the Archdiocese wishes to bring to our attention that on 25th January 2020 there will be an introductory session for anyone interested in discerning a vocation to the Priesthood or Religious Life at the Chancery starting at 10h00. If you are curious about what such a vocation might entail, you are also cordially invited.
- PARISH FINANCE COUNCIL MEETING on Wednesday 29th January 2020 at 19h00.
- PARISH PASTORAL COUNCIL MEETING ON Thursday 30th January 2020 at 19h00.
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church AT LEAST SIX MONTHS NOTICE of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
02nd Feb at 15h00 Matthew Akal & Agnieszka Gradzewicz (Convalidation)
08th Feb at 16h00 Michael du Preez & Robyn-Jade Ryan
07th Mar at 13h30 Russell Kingwell & Sonia Nunes
09th Apr at 14h00 Chester Kruger & Lisa Schaffers
18th Apr at 10h30 Leslie Adigbo & Nnennia
02nd May at 14h00 Carlo Caldeira & Genevieve da Silva
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- THE SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY OF THE PARISH urgently requires non-perishable food and toiletries for their pantry. Any assistance in that regard will be greatly appreciated. Please contact Mrs Gail Bester, Local President of the SVP on 072 591 8812.
- SATURDAY 08th February the Schoenstatt Family Branch, invite you to follow the pilgrim pathway of your marriage together – A Marriage Camino.
The fifteen stations shed light on your path through life with all its ups and downs and encourage you to strengthen your marriage. Our hope is that you enter into dialogue with each other and get onto the track of what grows and supports your love. Time: 09h00 to 16h30. Place: Schoenstatt, Constantia Main Road, Constantia. Cost: R100 per family (All inclusive). Bring a picnic lunch.
Your children will be under the close supervision of child-minders and kept busy while you, as husband and wife, walk together through Schoenstatt’s beautiful grounds. We look forward to meeting you. Please RSVP by 04February 2020. You are welcome to contact Marcel Barry 083 454 2209 or Kathleen Barry on 082 462 1178 and 021 705 2119. Alternately at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- SUNDAY 16th February 2020 we in the Archdiocese commemorate the Day for the Sick, Aged and Physically Challenged. The venue is Schoenstatt Training Centre in Constantia. The day starts at 10h00 and Holy Mass will be celebrated by Rev. Fr. Hugh O’ Connor at 11h30 followed by the anointing of the Sick. All who wish to book the served lunch at the cost of R55-00, should inform the Training Centre by 10th February (021-794-3132). Those who prefer to bring their own picnic lunch, are welcome to do so. The “Day” will conclude with entertainment from 2.30 to 3.30 pm
- Are you feeling alone or disillusioned in your marriage? Need a lifeline, then come and experience a Retrouvaille weekend! When: 28 February – 01 March 2020 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Contact : 074 175 7523
- DUE TO THE OPENING OF PARLIAMENT on 13th FEBRUARY 2020, please note that the Chancery, Cathedral, Cathedral Offices and Precincts will be closed whole day.
- NAZARETH HOUSE CAPE TOWN is looking for volunteers to help in the Charity Shop. If you can give them some of your time, they would be very grateful. Please contact the Sister Superior, Sr. Gladys Kubai CSN on 021 461 1635.