Thought for the day
Begin by recalling some special moment between yourself and your parents. Did you ever hear from them the equivalent of “This is my son, my daughter, the beloved: my favour rests on you”? In Jesus’ ministry, on several occasions, he felt such a word from his Abba, his Father. His baptism by John was one such moment, as was the Transfiguration later on. Such deep love and affirmation grounded him as a human being and as God’s prophet to the people of Israel. Our sense of calling grows out of our relationship with the Father, whose beloved we are, whose favour we too enjoy.
Let us hear again, Abba, Father, your words of favour to each one of us. Direct us on the Way of discipleship, that we may be bearers of the Good News by simply being who we truly are before you, your children.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collection R 9 575,890 Planned Giving R 4 768, 88
Southern Cross R 72, 00
Thank you for your generosity and support!
- THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM – Our next Baptism will be celebrated in the Cathedral on Sunday, 02ND FEBRUARY 2020 at the 10h00 Mass. The date of the Preparation class will be on Thursday 30th January at 19h00. Should you wish to baptize your child please arrange an appointment with the Priest before then.
- CANADIAN CHOIR CONCERT AT THE CATHEDRAL ON WEDNESDAY 15th JANUARY 2020 at 19h00. Tickets are R100 per person. The 30 member choir is composite of two choirs, Song Routes and Village Harmony. They will be touring South Africa between 06th – 18th January 2020.
- THE VOCATIONS TEAM of the Archdiocese wishes to bring to our attention that on 25th January 2020 there will be an introductory session for anyone interested in discerning a vocation to the Priesthood or Religious Life at the Chancery starting at 10h00. If you are curious about what such a vocation might entail, you are also cordially invited.
- PARISH FINANCE COUNCIL MEETING on Wednesday 29th January 2020 at 19h00.
- PARISH PASTORAL COUNCIL MEETING ON Thursday 30th January 2020 at 19h00.
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church AT LEAST SIX MONTHS NOTICE of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- THE SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY OF THE PARISH urgently requires non-perishable food and toiletries for their pantry. Any assistance in that regard will be greatly appreciated. Please contact Mrs Gail Bester, Local President of the SVP on 072 591 8812.
- CATECHISM REGISTRATION FOR 2020 will take place on Sunday 12th January from 08h30 – 09h30 in the Leslie Johnson Memorial Centre. Copies of Birth Certificates, Baptismal Certificates, FHC Certificates and Transfer Letters must be brought along.
- Are you feeling alone or disillusioned in your marriage? Need a lifeline, then come and experience a Retrouvaille weekend! When: 28 February – 01 March 2020 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Contact : 074 175 7523
- DUE TO THE OPENING OF PARLIAMENT on 13th FEBRUARY 2020, please note that the Chancery, Cathedral, Cathedral Offices and Precincts will be closed whole day.
Know, dear brothers and sisters, that, as we have rejoiced at the Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ, so by leave of God’s mercy we announce to you also the joy of his Resurrection, who is our Saviour.
On the Twenty-sixth day of February will fall Ash Wednesday, and the beginning of the fast of the most sacred Lenten season.
On the Twelfth day of April you will celebrate with joy Easter Day, the Paschal feast of our Lord Jesus Christ.
On the Twenty-fourth day of May will be the Ascension of our Lord Jesus Christ.
On the Thirty-first day of May the feast of Pentecost.
On the Fourteenth day of June, the feast of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ.
On the Twenty-ninth day of November, the First Sunday of the Advent of our Lord Jesus Christ, to whom is honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.