Thought for the day
Our Gospel today omits —understandably? — the brutal massacre of the innocents. While the story is indeed brutal, it is unfortunately not unrealistic. Its omission is a pity because the tragic side of life is underscored, in different ways, by both Matthew and Luke, in anticipation of the passion. They were not composing sweet scenes for Christmas cards! On the contrary, they were addressing the full human condition, in its mystery, its joys and its tragedies. It is precisely within the family that we encounter death, life, happiness and the sheer wonder of being at all. Today’s feast invites us to look unflinchingly at the whole picture, in all its complexity.
God, bless us all as members of our different families. As we thank you for the gift we are to each other, we ask your guidance and grace in all we do. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collection R 10 434, 90 Planned Giving R 6 750, 00
Southern Cross R 340, 00 Advent Appeal R 6 060, 10
Christmas R 17 292, 70
Thank you for your generosity and support!
- THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM – Our next Baptism will be celebrated in the Cathedral on Sunday, 05th January at the 10h00 Mass. The date of the Preparation class must still be determined.. Should you wish to baptize your child please arrange an appointment with the Priest before then.
- SHONA MASS FOR JANUARY 2020 will be on Sunday 12th January at 11h45
- A very BIG THANK YOU to all those parishioners who gave Christmas Cards and Gifts to the parish clergy. We most sincerely appreciate your generosity.
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
03rd Jan at 14h30 Oledayo Oyekanmi & Tonia Osedebe -Convalidation
05th Jan at 15h00 Matthew Akmal & Agnieszka Gradzewicz -Convalidation
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least SIX MONTHS notice of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- CANADIAN CHOIR CONCERT AT THE CATHEDRAL ON WEDNESDAY 15th JANUARY 2020 at 19h00. Tickets are R100 per person. The 30 member choir is composite of two choirs, Song Routes and Village Harmony. They will be touring South Africa between 06th – 18th January 2020.
- THE SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY OF THE PARISH urgently requires non-perishable food and toiletries for their pantry. Any assistance in that regard will be greatly appreciated. Please contact Mrs Gail Bester, Local President of the SVP on 072 591 8812.
- CATECHISM REGISTRATION FOR 2020 will take place on Sunday 12th January from 08h30 – 09h30 in the Leslie Johnson Memorial Centre. Copies of Birth Certificates, Baptismal Certificates, FHC Certificates and Transfer Letters must be brought along.
28th Dec. at 07h00 Nazareth House Father Ricardo Smuts
at 07h10 Villa Maria Father Luigi Benigni
at 18h00 The Cathedral Father Rohan Smuts
29th Dec. at 07h30 Villa Maria Father Luigi Benigni
at 08h45 Nazareth House Father Rohan Smuts
at 10h00 The Cathedral Father Luigi Benigni
at 17h00 The Cathedral Father Rohan Smuts
31st Dec. at 23h55 The Cathedral Bishop Sylvester David OMI
01st Jan. at 08h00 Villa Maria Father Luigi Benigni
at 09h00 Nazareth House Father Rohan Smuts