Thought for the day
In A. A. Milne, we read the following scrap of dialogue:
“What day is it?” It’s today,” squeaked Piglet. “My favourite day,” said Pooh.
Today has to be our favourite day be-cause it is the only day we’ll ever have. As St Augustine alarmingly noticed, the past is over, the future is not yet and the present, fleeting moment is the future becoming the past. And yet, this flying time is our “today of salva-tion,” a day like no other, not to be repeated. See, now is the acceptable time; see, now is the day of salvation! (2 Corinthians 6:2) The pulse of life is the heartbeat of God.
In this present moment, Lord, help us to put our fingers on the pulse of life, living fully life in abundance. Amen.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collection R 8 989, 70 Planned Giving R 8 058, 88
Southern Cross R 120, 00 Calendars R 120, 00
Diaries R 480, 00
Thank you for your generosity and support!
- Luigi will be taking his annual holiday from 24 November until 16 December
- CATHEDRAL MORTUARY LIST – For the whole month of November, starting on the 02nd, parishioners will be given the opportunity to submit the names of their departed loved ones to renew the list of the Faithful Departed. Weekly Holy Masses are offered for their repose. Please submit these and a stipend in the envelopes that will be provided to any of the Cathedral Clergy or alternatively in the collection basket on the weekends.
- Starting next week and throughout the whole of Advent, the second collection for the Annual Advent Appeal will be taking place.
- THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM – Our next Baptism will be celebrated in the Cathedral on Sunday, 01st December at the 10h00 Mass. Preparation class will take place on the Thursday, 28th November at 19h00 in the precincts of the Cathedral Office. Should you wish to baptize your child please arrange an appointment with the Priest before then.
- Pontifical Mission Society Liturgical Calendars for 2020 are on sale now at R20 each.
- On 30 November at 10h00 in the Cathedral there will be the World AIDS day celebration. The celebrant for the Mass will be Bishop Sylvester David, OMI.
- On Saturday 7December there will be an Advent Day Rally from 09h30. It will be held at the Schoenstatt on Constantia Main Rd. For more information please check the flyers.
- On Saturday 7 December Nazareth House will be holding a Market Day from 09h00 to 13h00. More information available on the flyers in the back.
- This Week in the Southern Cross: SA couple together on sainthood path/ Interview with SACBC president/ Priest’s new book reflects on Sunday readings/ Visit to the Sacred Heart of Jesus/Lessons in humanity from a cat
ST MARY’S PRIMARY SCHOOL has launched a Breakfast Club, feeding the learners nutritious e’Pap and fruit before school starts in the morning. They are in need of and would welcome helping hands between 08h00 and 09h00. If you are able to assist one morning a week, please contact Aletta on 076 324 6292.
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
07th Dec at 14h00 Sean Ferrier & Faranaaz Miller
14th Dec at 09h00 Matthew Thyssen & Michaele Theunis
14th Dec at 14h00 Luis Carlos Yerena Contreras & Elrechia Michaels
28th Dec at 15h00 Luigi Di Martino & Heather Ford (Convalidation)
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least SIX MONTHS notice of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
The Bellville Catholic Charismatic Prayer Group will be hosting a HEALING AND DELIVERANCE CONFERENCE at Our Lady of Fatima Community Hall on 14th – 16th December 2019 from 09h00 until 17h00. Costs are R100 per person and for further information contact either Susan Hartzenberg on 072 202 0470 or Druscilla van Niekerk on 082 409 4378.
- There will be a Penitential Service on 18th December at 19h00 at Nazareth House.
- FESTIVAL OF CAROLS AND LESSONS in the Cathedral on Sunday 22nd December at 18h30