Thought for the day
Humility, humiliation, low self-esteem: these things get all mixed up in our minds and in our feelings. In the past, humility was encouraged by humiliation – really an abuse, which must have caused much harm. Low selfesteem – the root of many problems and addictions – used to be confused with humility. A robust humility is really an exercise in truth-telling about ourselves. If we are to be grounded in the humus (earth) of our human existences, then we do need to be honest in our appraisal, affirming the good and recognising courageously our faults. Humility goes with being human.
As we affirm your gifts and rejoice in them, help us to honest and know the full story, warts and all, that we come before you in need of your grace.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collection R 6 388, 50 Planned Giving R 4 608, 88
Southern Cross R 96, 00 Calendars R 180, 00
Mission Sunday R 2 366, 10
Thank you for your generosity and support!
- Please Note that there will be a SECOND COLLECTION next weekend in support of the Prison Care and Support Network.
- MASS FOR DECEASED BISHOPS, CLERGY, RELIGIOUS and BENEFACTORS on Thursday 31st October at 10h30 in St Michael’s Catholic Church, Rondebosch.
- WE CONGRATULATE OUR NEW CATHEDRAL PARISH PASTORAL COUNCIL. In addition to the Cathedral Clergy and Mrs Margaret Cook (The Child Safeguarding Officer) the new PPC are: Mr Dale de Windt, Mr Takudzwa Gutsa, Prof Mmaki Jantjies, Sr. Gladys Kubai CSN, Mr Ronald Mubaiwa, Sr. Anne-Marie Nicholas ISSM, Ms Annemarie Roodbol and Dr Antonio Serafin.
- THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM – Our next Baptism will be celebrated in the Cathedral on Sunday, 03 November at the 10h00 Mass. Preparation class will take place on the Thursday, 31st October at 19h00 in the precincts of the Cathedral Office. Should you wish to baptize your child please arrange an appointment with the Priest before then.
- Pontifical Mission Society Liturgical Calendars for 2020 are on sale now at R20 each.
- CATHEDRAL MORTUARY LIST – For the whole month of November, starting on the 02nd, parishioners will be given the opportunity to submit the names of their departed loved ones to renew the list of the Faithful Departed. Weekly Holy Masses are offered for their repose. Please submit these and a stipend in the envelopes that will be provided to any of the Cathedral Clergy or alternatively in the collection basket on the weekends.
- There will be a HOUSE MASS, followed by a Bring and Share Supper, at the home of Margie Cook (14A Deerpark Drive) on Thursday, 07 November at 19h00. All are welcome.
ST MARY’S PRIMARY SCHOOL has launched a Breakfast Club, feeding the learners nutritious e’Pap and fruit before school starts in the morning. They are in need of and would welcome helping hands between 08h00 and 09h00. If you are able to assist one morning a week, please contact Aletta on 076 324 6292.
Please note that due to the Challenge Cape Town We Are Triathlon on Sunday 10th November there will a road closures in and around the CBD, including roads leading to the Cathedral
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
07th Dec at 14h00 Sean Ferrier & Faranaaz Miller
14th Dec at 09h00 Matthew Thyssen & Michaele Theunis
14th Dec at 14h00 Luis Carlos Yerena Contreras & Elrechia Michaels
28th Dec at 15h00 Luigi Di Martino & Heather Ford (Convalidation)
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least SIX MONTHS notice of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- On Friday, 01st November, St Michael’s Catholic Church in Rondebosch will be celebrating THE SOLEMNITY OF ALL SOULS. The Choir, under the direction of Johan Swanepoel will be singing Requiem for the living by Dan Forrest. The Organist is Mr Grant Bräsler. Holy Mass starts at 19h00.
- NAZARETH HOUSE ‘BOOKS AND BLING’ FUNDRAISER on 09th November from 09h00 until 14h00. The Nazareth Sisters invites you to come and browse our selection of Jewellery and Books Something for everyone including Coffee and Sweet Treats stalls on the day.
- The Bellville Catholic Charismatic Prayer Group will be hosting a HEALING AND DELIVERANCE CONFERENCE at Our Lady of Fatima Community Hall on 14th – 16th December 2019 from 09h00 until 17h00. Costs are R100 per person and for further information contact either Susan Hartzenberg on 072 202 0470 or Druscilla van Niekerk on 082 409 4378.
- FESTIVAL OF CAROLS AND LESSONS in the Cathedral on Sunday 22nd December at 18h30