Thought for the day
For a long time, Western Christianity was marked by a deep pessimism. Most were surely going to hell! In sum, we seem to have moved from clarity and pessimism to agnosticism and optimism. A necessary rebalancing, of course, but with the attendant risk of complacency, convinced as we are, and ought to be, of God’s boundless mercy, love and compassion. These gifts, on the other hand, should not trigger a kind of lazy confidence but should invite even greater engagement, commitment and costly discipleship. God desires the whole person, all that I am.
God of costly love, help us to take up the path of discipleship and respond to your Son’s call by giving our whole selves to you and the Gospel. Amen.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICE
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collection R 9 295.60 Planned Giving R 1 718.88
Southern Cross R 72.00
- Please Note that due to the Ordination of Rev. Fr Sylvester David, OMI as the new Auxiliary Bishop of Cape Town the 17h00 Holy Mass for that Sunday has been cancelled.
- For those unable to attend the Episcopal Ordination, it will be broadcast on YouTube at youtube.com/channel/UCKaALKbiLBdnM1i9syHALew
- From August 26th until September 27th Rohan will be taking his Annual leave.
- From September 2nd until September 11th Luigi will be attending the AGROP.
- Due to the financial predicament the Cathedral is currently in, there will be a second collection this weekend towards Fr. Rohan’s Annual leave.
- Please be advised that the Bingo/Tea at Nazareth House on Saturday 7 September has been cancelled.
- On Sunday September 8th the Wits University Choir will be singing at the 10h00 Mass at the Cathedral
- EARLY NOTIFICATION OF INCREASED ACTIVITY AND ROAD CLOSURES FOR THE SANLAM CAPE TOWN MARATHON on Sunday 15th September 2019.
- In October the Cape Town Chamber Choir will be singing at the 10h00 Mass at the Cathedral. The date will be confirmed in the following week.
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least SIX MONTHS notice of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
The Banns of Upcoming Marriages
28th September at 14h00 Jason Williams & Maunique Naidoo
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- The Southern Cross– Bishops: We must act on SA’s violence/ Ramaphosa wants to meet Church leaders again/ Mozambique looks forward to pope’s visit/ Behind Nigeria’s religious troubles/ and The women in the Gospel of Luke
- Retrouvaille:A Weekend Away Can Give Your Marriage a Chance. Retrouvaille is a marriage help programme that gives couples the opportunity to take time out, to get away, and examine their lives together in a real and realistic way. It is based on the belief that marriage is the most significant relationship on earth and is worth investing your time, energy and efforts to make it the best it can be. The weekend is more worthwhile than can ever be explained. For confidential information about Retrouvaille, or to register for the next weekend which will take place in Cape Town from the 13thto 15th September visit the web site at helpourmarriage.com or phone 074 175 7523 and we will help you.
- TAIZE PILGRIMAGE:
The Taize Community are inviting local young people between the ages of 18 and 35 to join the Pilgrimage of Trust in Cape Town for the full programme from 25 – 29 September OR for evening prayer on those days OR for one day on Saturday, 28 September. Please contact Margie Cook on 082 461 8607 before 14 September.
- From Friday 20 September to Monday 23 September, the Open Mosque will be holding its 4th Annual Interfaith Retreat in Greyton. The topic of the retreat is The Concept Of Justice Within The Abrahamic Faiths. The cost will be R1500 for the entire retreat, all-inclusive. For more information please contact email@example.com or 021 824-1400, 082 829-4547