Thought for the day
It is alarming to think that “where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” To find out where my treasure is I need to look not at what I think but at what I do. How do I choose to spend my time? Where does my best concentration go? What “things” in life provide me with the greatest challenge and the greatest fulfilment? When am I most truly myself ? Even more, to know myself spiritually, introspection is only a limited guide. What I really need to do is to take account of how I act. What about the last week, for example? What does that tell me about myself?
Lord Jesus, let me know myself and know you, and desire nothing, save only you. Look upon me, that I may love you. Call me, that I may see you, and for ever enjoy you. Amen.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICE
LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collection R 8 695, 35 Planned Giving R 8 338, 88
Southern Cross R 96, 00
The Episcopal Ordination of Rev. Fr Sylvester David, OMI as the new Auxiliary Bishop of Cape Town will take place on Sunday 25th August at 14h00 in the City Hall. It is a ticketed celebration and every parish has been given only 9 tickets, which includes one for the parish deacon(s). Please note that the 17h00 Holy Mass for that Sunday has been cancelled.
PLEASE NOTE: Next weekend we will commemorate and celebrate our country’s Patronal Feast of the Assumption of Our Lady.
- EARLY NOTIFICATION OF INCREASED ACTIVITY AND ROAD CLOSURES FOR THE SANLAM CAPE TOWN MARATHON on Sunday 15th September 2019.
- FULLY FURBISHED FLAT TO RENT – 09 SOPHIA STREET, ORANJEZICHT. For further information please contact Cristel Wykeham on 021 465 1920
- SONGS OF PRAISE IN THE CITY will be held on Saturday 17th August at 19h00 in The Groote Kerk. The conductor is Richard Cock, the Choir is the Philharmonia Choir and the programme will include traditional and modern hymns/songs, choral anthems and vibrant African pieces. The choir will be accompanied by a festive brass and percussion ensemble and in some pieces by a marimba band, who will also perform some instrumental works. You will be able to join in the singing of some of your favourite hymns during the concert!
Tickets available at quicket.co.za
- THE WOMEN’S CHOIR FROM COLOGNE CATHEDRAL will be singing at the 17h00 Holy Mass in the Cathedral next Sunday 18th August. They will give a short concert after the Mass. The Celebrant and Homilist is Rev. Fr Stefan Hippler and the concelebrant is Monsignor Robert Kleine, Dean of Cologne Cathedral
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least SIX MONTHS notice of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
The Banns of Upcoming Marriages
28th September at 14h00 Jason Williams & Maunique Naidoo
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- ARCHDIOCESAN HEALTH CARERS ASSOCIATION will celebrate Holy Mass next Saturday 17th August at 10h00 in Nazareth House Main Chapel. Registration from 09h30. The Motivational Speaker is Ingrid Jones on “Empowerment of Women”. Please see the notice board for further information.
- You are cordially invited to attend SOLEMN VESPERS that will be held in the Cathedral on Friday 23rd August at 19h00. The occasion is for Blessing of the Insignia and the Public Oath of Fidelity by Bishop-elect Sylvester David who will be ordained to the Episcopate on Sunday 25th August at 14h00.
- THE YOUNG ADULT GROUP OF THE PARISH will lead the praying of the Rosary in the Cathedral on Sunday 25th August at 09h00. They extend an invitation to all parishioners to join them.
- Are you feeling alone or disillusioned in your marriage? Need a lifeline, then come and experience a Retrouvaille Weekend! When:13th – 15th September 2019
Email: email@example.com or Contact: 074 175 7523
- TAIZE PILGRIMAGE:
The Taize Community here in Cape Town is hosting a pilgrimage from 25th to 29th September 2019. All parishes are supporting this initiative and our parish has been asked to host 30 to 50 young people from 18 to 35 years of age by giving them a place to sleep and a light breakfast. They will be collected from this area to be transported by bus to the pilgrimage venue in Rondebosch, where they will take part in a full day’s programme. They will be given lunch and supper there and be transported back to the parish at approximately 9 pm. If you able to accommodate at least 2 people please would you contact Margie Cook on 0824618607.
The Cathedral Parish is completely committed to ensuring the safety of our children. For further information consult the website of the Archdiocese: adct.org.za using the Ministries Tab or contact our Parochial Coordinator, Margie Cook on 0824618607.