Thought for the day
If any lesson were to be learned from times of recession, surely it would resemble today’s Gospel. Riches are precarious; material security is unstable; dreams of untroubled longevity are soon dispelled by “events.” Paradoxically, our experience of life as fickle can take us in quite opposite directions. We might be tempted to plunge ourselves into more enjoyment of the present moment, as St Paul caustically observes: “let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.” (1Corinthians 15:32 NET) The road less travelled is to become “rich towards God.” It still means enjoying and living the present moment, but in a completely different, deeper and ultimately more lasting way.
God of wisdom, help us to see through all that is false yet enticing; be our guide on the path of life.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICE
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collection R 5 858, 30 Planned Giving R 6 338, 88
Southern Cross R 96, 00
Dear Parishioners, the monthly projected income for the Cathedral Parish is R101 000. The Monthly income for July was R 52 221, 60 which is made up of R24 907, 20 (Collections) & R27 314, 40 (Planned Giving). So the shortfall for the month of July is R48 778, 40.
- REGARDING NOMINATIONS FOR THE NEW PARISH PASTORAL COUNCIL – Parishioners are asked to nominate individuals who will stand for election in the new PPC. Before nominating anyone, first please ask them and then submit them either via email or telephonically. Nominees must be over 18, confirmed and in good standing in the community. Elections will be held in August. Thus far only two nominees have been received. The deadline for nominations is 04th August 2019.
- Friday 09th August is a Public Holiday – Please note the change in Mass times.
- THE UPCOMING ORDINATIONS TO THE PRIESTHOOD AND THE TRANSITIONAL DIACONATE will take place on Saturday 10th August at 10h00 in Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic Church in Lansdowne. Joseph Malama Chimfwebe and Rev. Alfredo van der Schyff will be ordained to the Priesthood and Mr Theo Angelo April will be ordained to the Diaconate. As a result, there will be NO CONFESSIONS at 09h00 next Saturday 10th August
- EARLY NOTIFICATION OF INCREASED ACTIVITY AND ROAD CLOSURES FOR THE SANLAM CAPE TOWN MARATHON on Sunday 15th September 2019.
- FULLY FURBISHED FLAT TO RENT – 09 SOPHIA STREET, ORANJEZICHT. For further information please contact Cristel Wykeham on 021 465 1920
- THE WOMEN’S CHOIR FROM COLOGNE CATHEDRAL will be singing at the 17h00 Holy Mass in the Cathedral on Sunday 18th August. They will give a short concert after the Mass. The Celebrant and Homilist is Rev. Fr Stefan Hippler and the concelebrant is Monsignor Robert Kleine, Dean of Cologne Cathedral
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least SIX MONTHS notice of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
The Banns of Upcoming Marriages
10th August at 10h30 Cameron-Scott McBean & Stephanie Farmer
28th September at 14h00 Jason Williams & Maunique Naidoo
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- HOLY HOUR TO PRAY FOR THE PRIESTS OF THE ARCHDIOCESE on Saturday 10th August at 16h00. The venue is Villa Maria Shrine. Any enquiries contact Astrid Castenfelt on 083 999 2984
- ARCHDIOCESAN HEALTH CARERS ASSOCIATION will celebrate Holy Mass on Saturday 17th August at 10h00 in Nazareth House Main Chapel. Registration from 09h30. The Motivational Speaker is Ingrid Jones on “Empowerment of Women”. Please see the notice board for further information.
- You are cordially invited to attend SOLEMN VESPERS that will be held in the Cathedral on Friday 23rd August at 19h00. The occasion is for Blessing of the Insignia and the Public Oath of Fidelity by Bishop-elect Sylvester David who will be ordained to the Episcopate on Sunday 25th August at 14h00.
- THE YOUNG ADULT GROUP OF THE PARISH will lead the praying of the Rosary in the Cathedral on Sunday 25th August at 09h00. They extend an invitation to all parishioners to join them.
- Are you feeling alone or disillusioned in your marriage? Need a lifeline, then come and experience a Retrouvaille Weekend! When:13th – 15th September 2019
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Contact: 074 175 7523
- TAIZE PILGRIMAGE:
The Taize Community here in Cape Town is hosting a pilgrimage from 25th to 29th September 2019. All parishes are supporting this initiative and our parish has been asked to host 30 to 50 young people from 18 to 35 years of age by giving them a place to sleep and a light breakfast. They will be collected from this area to be transported by bus to the pilgrimage venue in Rondebosch, where they will take part in a full day’s programme. They will be given lunch and supper there and be transported back to the parish at approximately 9 pm. If you able to accommodate at least 2 people please would you contact Margie Cook on 0824618607.
The Cathedral Parish is completely committed to ensuring the safety of our children. For further information consult the website of the Archdiocese: adct.org.za using the Ministries Tab or contact our Parochial Coordinator, Margie Cook on 0824618607.