Thought for the day
The question raised in today’s Gospel is never out of date or out of season. It is perfectly natural to think of our neighbours as literally the people next door, people “like us” as we say. But, that is to stay well within our comfort zone and, as Jesus puts it sharply elsewhere, “even the Gentiles love those who love them.” Far more is demanded, especially in today’s context of spiralling migration, with all its challenges of finance, housing, income, education of the young, work for the able and so forth. While bearing in mind the practical and social consequences, the whole thrust of the Gospel passage is to see my neighbour as any fellow human being in need.
Generous God, as we rejoice in your kindness towards us, help us to imitate your love for all without distinction.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICE
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collection R 7 197, 50 Planned Giving R 1 538, 88
Southern Cross R 949, 20 Peter’s Pence R 2 278, 90
Candles R 1 322, 40
- Please note that this weekend’s second collection is in aid of the SEAFARERS and the work done by The Apostleship of the Sea.
- SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY MEETING on Saturday 20th July at 09h30 in the Leslie Johnson Memorial Centre.
- REGARDING NOMINATIONS FOR THE NEW PARISH PASTORAL COUNCIL – Parishioners are asked to nominate individuals who will stand for election in the new PPC. Before nominating anyone, first please ask them and then submit them either via email or telephonically. Nominees must be over 18, confirmed and in good standing in the community. Elections will be held in August. Thus far only two nominees have been received. The deadline for nominations is 04th August 2019.
- THE UPCOMING ORDINATIONS TO THE PRIESTHOOD AND THE TRANSITIONAL DIACONATE will take place on Saturday 10th August at 10h00 in Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic Church in Lansdowne. Joseph Malama Chimfwebe and Rev. Alfredo van der Schyff will be ordained to the Priesthood and Mr Theo Angelo April will be ordained to the Diaconate. As a result, there will be NO CONFESSIONS at 09h00 on Saturday 10th August
- EARLY NOTIFICATION OF INCREASED ACTIVITY AND ROAD CLOSURES FOR THE SANLAM CAPE TOWN MARATHON on Sunday 15th September 2019.
- THE WOMEN’S CHOIR FROM COLOGNE CATHEDRAL will be singing at the 17h00 Holy Mass in the Cathedral on Sunday 18th They will give a short concert after the Mass.
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least SIX MONTHS notice of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
The Banns of Upcoming Marriages
03rd August at 11h00 Charles Kamupira & Chinyaradzo Munodawafa Convalidation
03rd August at 14h00 Rudiger Moser & Kim Moser Convalidation
10th August at 10h30 Cameron-Scott McBean & Stephanie Farmer
28th September at 14h00 Jason Williams & Maunique Naidoo
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- MARRIAGE ENCOUNTER WEEKEND on 19 -21 July 2019. It is a weekend to gives couples an opportunity to rekindle the flames of romance. Just call Graham or Patuele on 084 502 3805 or 076 930 3818
- HOLY HOUR TO PRAY FOR THE PRIESTS OF THE ARCHDIOCESE on Saturday 10th August at 16h00. The venue is Villa Maria Shrine. Any enquiries contact Astrid Castenfelt on 083 999 2984
- You are cordially invited to attend SOLEMN VESPERS that will be held in the Cathedral on Friday 23rd August at 19h00. The occasion is for Blessing of the Insignia and the Public Oath of Fidelity by Bishop-elect Sylvester David who will be ordained to the Episcopate on Sunday 25th August at 14h00.
- TAIZE PILGRIMAGE:
The Taize Community here in Cape Town is hosting a pilgrimage from 25th to 29th September 2019. All parishes are supporting this initiative and our parish has been asked to host 30 to 50 young people from 18 to 35 years of age by giving them a place to sleep and a light breakfast. They will be collected from this area to be transported by bus to the pilgrimage venue in Rondebosch, where they will take part in a full day’s programme. They will be given lunch and supper there and be transported back to the parish at approximately 9 pm. If you able to accommodate at least 2 people please would you contact Margie Cook on 0824618607.
The Cathedral Parish is completely committed to ensuring the safety of our children. For further information consult the website of the Archdiocese: adct.org.za using the Ministries Tab or contact our Parochial Coordinator, Margie Cook on 0824618607.