Thought for the day
According to the song, “the greatest thing you’ll ever learn is to love and be loved in return.” In our better moments we all know this to be the truth about our human being. For believers, it is no surprise that the very thing we need most stands at the centre of the Christian faith: God is love. The match between our need and God’s disclosure is perfect. If we took that really to heart, many things would change: our practice of prayer, our relationships, our joy in believing, our way of sharing our faith, our living of discipleship. All we need is love. The astonishing servant love of God in Jesus is exactly we most need.
You are love itself and yet we hesitate. Open our inner selves to your gracious loving, that we may ourselves as beloved and being loved we may learn to love in return.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collections R 6 171, 50 Planned Giving R 2 520, 00
Southern Cross R 80, 00 Ecclesiastical E. Fund R 2 685, 30
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- THE SOUTHERN CROSS – New Pretoria Archbishop was prepared for the call; Archbishop Tlhagale: Mandela’s legacy trampled upon; Pilgrims go to Our Lady of the Bushveld; Three South African Deacons on their vocation; Evangelising by Hitch-hiking; How a priest lives and works with autism. THIS WEEK’S EDITORIAL: The state of Vocations.
- NAZARETH HOUSE CHARITY MARKET DAY on Saturday 25th May from 08h30 until 13h00. Entry is free!
- Saint Vincent de Paul Society Meeting on Saturday 25th May from 09h30 in the Leslie Johnson Memorial Centre.
- The Parish Finance Council Meeting on Tuesday 28th May at 18h30 in the Leslie Johnson Memorial Centre.
- The Parish Pastoral Council Meeting on Thursday 30th May at 18h30 in the parish room at Nazareth House.
- Please note: THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM at the 10h00 Holy Mass on 02nd The instruction class for both the parents and godparents will be on Thursday 30th May at 19h00 in the Leslie Johnson Memorial Centre.
- SHONA MASS on 02nd June at 11h45 in the Cathedral.
- THE SACRAMENT OF CONFIRMATION is celebrated on 16th June at 10h00
- THE SACRAMENT OF FIRST HOLY COMMUNION is celebrated on 23rd June at 10h00
- The Women’s Choir from Cologne Cathedral will be singing at the 17h00 Holy Mass in the Cathedral on Sunday 18th They will give a short concert after the Mass.
The Banns of Upcoming Marriages
25th May @ 14h00 Ivan Joubert & Zahnne Fullerton
08th June @ 17h30 Roberto Berardo & Christina Lubrani
03rd August @ 14h00 Rudiger Moser & Kim Moser Convalidation
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least SIX MONTHS notice of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- The Schoenstatt Sisters are having a Fun Day for Girls aged 8 – 14 Years on the 25th May, from 09h30 – 15h30 at The Schoenstatt Provincial House. Indemnity forms available from the Cathedral Office. The cost of the day is R30 and for further information please contact Sr Ann-Marie Nicholas ISSM on 021 423 8136 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- WINTER LIVING THEOLOGY 2019 is from 11 – 13 June 2019. The theme of this year’s workshop is HOW TO LIVE A HAPPY LIFE (The Spirituality & Psychology of well-being). It is presented by Jesuit Father and Clinical Psychologist David Marcotte, SJ, PhD who is currently Assistant Professor of Psychology and Associate Director of Clinical Training at Fordham University, New York. Book your seat either via telephone (011 482 4237) or email (email@example.com)
- TAIZE PILGRIMAGE:
The Taize Community here in Cape Town is hosting a pilgrimage from 25 to 29 September. All parishes are supporting this initiative and our parish has been asked to host 30 to 50 young people from 18 to 35 years of age by giving them a place to sleep and a light breakfast. They will be collected from this area to be transported by bus to the pilgrimage venue in Rondebosch, where they will take part in a full day’s programme. They will be given lunch and supper there and be transported back to the parish at approximately 9 pm. If you able to accommodate at least 2 people please would you contact Margie Cook on 0824618607.
God, our Father, through our baptism, you invite us into relationship with the person of Jesus, in which we are to become like him and to do what he does. We ask you to open the hearts and minds of young men and women to living in this relationship with Jesus, so that they may hear his call on their lives and may respond generously. May those who are discerning a vocation to
priesthood or the religious life be guided by the Holy Spirit, so that they can know how best to serve you and to respond to your call. May they have the courage to say “yes” to serve
you and to become instruments to spread the Good News of your Son, Jesus Christ. He who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God forever and ever. Amen.
The Cathedral Parish is completely committed to ensuring the safety of our children. For further information consult the website of the Archdiocese: adct.org.za using the Ministries Tab or contact our Coordinator, Margie Cook on 0824618607.