Thought for the day
In our ordinary world, words such as compassion, forgiveness and reconciliation convey an essential, if difficult and at the same time joyful, human task. In our world of faith, we add other words, such as mercy and grace, which make us conscious of the free gift, unalloyed, with no conditions attached. Our role is not to “retain the sins of any” precisely so that they may know, at our hands, true forgiveness. In our Gospel, Peter is not reproached; rather he is set free. That is love, the only commandment.
Lord Jesus, help us all to hear your invitation, “Do you love me?” and set our hearts free to practice forgiveness.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collections R 4 804, 80 Planned Giving R 11 990, 00
Southern Cross R 70, 00 Cyclone Idai R 4 212, 95
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- PLEASE NOTE that MAY 08th is a Public Holiday due to National and Local Elections. As such, please note the change in the times of Masses in Villa Maria and Nazareth House respectively. There is no lunchtime mass at the Cathedral on that day!
- THE SOUTHERN CROSS – Catholic Marathon legend wins with rosary; Good reasons to vote on May 8; Rare breed: Four saintly politicians; School massacre survivior becomes a nun; How sermons could be better. THIS WEEK’S EDITORIAL: A question of survival.
PLEASE NOTE: that The Southern Cross is scheduled for a price increase as from 12th May 2019. The cost of the weekly newspaper will be R12 per copy. The newspaper is also available in digital format at R420 per annum
- THE SACRAMENT OF CONFIRMATION is celebrated on 16th June at 10h00
- THE SACRAMENT OF FIRST HOLY COMMUNION is celebrated on 23rd June at 10h00
- The Women’s Choir from Cologne Cathedral will be singing at the 17h00 Holy Mass in the Cathedral on Sunday 18th They will give a short concert after the Mass.
The Banns of Upcoming Marriages
25th May @ 14h00 Ivan Joubert & Zahnne Fullerton
08th June @ 17h30 Roberto Berardo & Christina Lubrani
03rd August @ 14h00 Rudiger Moser & Kim Moser Convalidation
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least SIX MONTHS notice of your intention to do so. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry and to arrange the required Marriage Preparation Classes.
The Cathedral Parish is completely committed to ensuring the safety of our children. For further information consult the website of the Archdiocese: adct.org.za using the Ministries Tab or contact our Coordinator, Margie Cook on 0824618607.
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
- 11 May 2019 at 12 noon Join the National Rosary Rally by praying the rosary for peace at the Louis Botha statue outside Parliament and opposite the Cathedral.
- The Schoenstatt Sisters are having a Fun Day for Girls aged 8 – 14 Years on the 25th May, from 09h30 – 15h30 at The Schoenstatt Provincial House. Indemnity forms available from the Cathedral Office. The cost of the day is R30 and for further information please contact Sr Ann-Marie Nicholas ISSM on 021 423 8136 or email@example.com
- TAIZE PILGRIMAGE:
The Taize Community here in Cape Town is hosting a pilgrimage from 25 to 29 September. All parishes are supporting this initiative and our parish has been asked to host 30 to 50 young people from 18 to 35 years of age by giving them a place to sleep and a light breakfast. They will be collected from this area to be transported by bus to the pilgrimage venue in Rondebosch, where they will take part in a full day’s programme. They will be given lunch and supper there and be transported back to the parish at approximately 9 pm. If you able to accommodate at least 2 people please would you contact Margie Cook on 0824618607.
* Please note that Fr Luigi Benigni is away as part of his annual leave from Sunday the 28th April until Monday the 13th May 2019. During this time he will also be doing his annual Retreat.