Thought for the day
It is possible to contrast the various philosophies and religions as systems of ideas and as ethical paradigms. What is distinctive of Christianity, however, is the centrality of the person of Jesus. In his own ministry, he proclaimed the Good News of the reign of God. The Good News for Paul is Jesus’ death and resurrection. Christianity is different: we have not only a message but a person to proclaim.
O Christ, you stand at the very centre of our existence as believers. Show yourself to us and help us to know you, love and serve you. Amen.
Divine Office – Week II
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Collections R 5 590, 60 Planned Giving R 4 387, 77
Southern Cross R 951, 00 Calendars R 800, 00
Votive Candles R 1 962, 40 High Tea R 7 035, 00
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- THE SOUTHERN CROSS – Much to smile about: Nun on turning 100; Pope’s plan to ‘fix’ the Roman Curia; After eight years, Johannesburg priest is coming home; New Hurley, Tlhagale books reviewed; In face of hatred, fight back with love. THIS WEEK’S EDITORIAL: See divine light in others!
- PLEASE NOTE THAT LITURGICAL CALENDARS FOR 2019 are on sale at R20 each.
- A very big thank you to all who organised, participated and supported the High Tea on 03rd The event raised R7026.
- ADVENT FELLOWSHIP AT NAZARETH HOUSE will begin on Thursday 29 November. We meet at Larmenier Village from 10h00 until 11h00 for the four weeks of Advent. Join us and help us to prepare for Christmas meaningfully. Contact Greg Landman 0825984095
- Dear parishioners a kindly reminder of the Saint Vincent de Paul Society’s drive for the Christmas Season. Please check the various notice boards for what they require to make the necessary food parcels.
The Banns of Upcoming Marriages
01 December @ 14h00 Matthew Guerreiro & Lara-Ann Ramos
15 December @ 14h00 Terence Atkins & Valnay Jones
22 December @ 11h00 Adrian de Beer & Andreina Salazar Convalidation
12 January @ 14h00 Enrique Jaipal & Kim Riley
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least six months notice of your intent to get married. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry.
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
24th – 25th November MORTUARY LIST SECOND COLLECTION. Please note that during the month of November you will be afforded the opportunity to submit names of your deceased relatives and friends to be added to the Parish’s Mortuary List. Weekly masses are celebrated in the parish for their repose.
01st Dec. at 10h30 WORLD AIDS DAY – The Archdiocesan Healthcare Association invites everyone to join them for the Celebration of Holy Mass at the Cathedral to pray for all those who are either affected or infected by HIV/AIDS
02nd Dec. at 10h00 THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM. Parents and Guardians please register for Baptism through any of the Clergy. Baptism Instruction Class on Thursday 29th November at 19h00
08th Dec. at 09h00 NAZARETH HOUSE GARDEN MARKET. All proceeds will go towards purchasing nappies for 40 children with severe disabilities that are dependent on them. Thank you for your support in this regard.
08th Dec. at 19h30 CHRISTMAS CONCERT AT THE CATHEDRAL. Entrance Fee/Tickets is R50 per person
09th Dec. at 19h00 ADVENT CAROLS AND LESSONS at the Cathedral, led by the Choir of St Michael’s and All Angels Anglican Church, Observatory.
13th Dec. at 18h00 ANNUAL CHRISTMAS CONCERT HOSTED BY THE ITALIAN CONSULATE followed by a short reception in the Leslie Johnson Memorial Centre.
20th Dec. at 19h00 PARISH PENITENTIAL SERVICE at Nazareth House Main Chapel
24th Dec. at 00h00 CHRISTMAS MIDNIGHT MASS at the Cathedral and Nazareth House respectively. Please note that for our Christmas Midnight Mass this year at The Metropolitan Cathedral, the Mass setting is Messe Solenelle, Opus 16 by Louis Vierne.
25th Dec. at 07h30 Christmas Day Mass – Villa Maria
at 08h45 Christmas Day Mass – Nazareth House
at 10h00 Christmas Day Mass – The Cathedral