The Thought for the Day
A birth is never “just” a birth. Each new life is always a gift and, at the same time, an affirmation, a sign of hope. Even in difficult circumstances, joy is the spontaneous response and with such joy comes a new sense of being more alive, more ourselves, more “graced”, with a raised awareness of God-with-us. Parents wonder always “what will become of this child?” What holds for each of us was also true of John the Baptist, only all the more so, as we see in Luke’s account. He was the last of the old and the first of the new, a prophet between the times – not unlike ourselves!
As we continue to grow strong in spirit, Lord, help us to become the person whose real potential is known to you alone. May the hand of your blessing be upon us all, now and evermore.
The Divine Office – Week IV
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- A very warm welcome to Bro David De Freitas, who is a seminarian for the Archdiocese of Cape Town. Currently in his Third Year of Philosophical Studies at St John Vianney National Seminary in Pretoria, he will be doing his pastoral work in the Cathedral parish until 08th
- LAST WEEKEND’S COLLECTIONS
Collections R 6 506, 50 Planned Giving R 1 350, 00
Southern Cross R 100, 75
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- THE CLOSING MASS FOR THE BICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IN SOUTHERN AFRICA will take place next Sunday, 24th June at 14h00 in the Bellville Velodrome. The transport to and from the event will leave the Cathedral precincts at 12h00. Transport pick up at Nazareth House at 11h00 the on the Cathedral.
- THE SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY is urgently appealing to parishioners for blankets, containers and food items for the needy. It is cold and many people are going to bed hungry. Food slips are available at the back of the church as a reminder.
- IN THE SOUTHERN CROSS – Peter & Paul: Two pillars of the Church; Church History: Jesuit Father Guy Tachard; Cry of the Young Heart: Have the Youth Lost All Hope?; Pope Accepts Resignation of 3 Chilean Bishops; Church Distances Itself Fro Religious Group for Zuma. The Editorial: Gossip in the Church: A Sour Grapevine.
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least six months notice of your intent to get married. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry.
THE PRAYER FOR RAIN
O God, in whom we live and move, and have our being, grant us sufficient rain,
so that being supplied with what sustains us in this present life,
we may seek more confidently what sustains us for eternity.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
01st JULY at 10h00 BAPTISMS will be celebrated at the 10h00 Holy Mass.
Instruction class will be on Thursday 28th June at 19h00 in the Leslie Johnson Memorial Centre. Parents and guardians must register their children with the clergy of the parish.
03rd – 06th July Schoenstatt Girls Youth will be hosting their annual “Winter Camp” in Schoenstatt, Constantia. For further information, please check the noticeboards.
07th July at 14h15 BINGO TEA at Zonnebloem Retirement Home
08th July at 19h00 The University Of Warsaw Collegium Musicum Chamber Choir Concert at the Cathedral.
Cost of tickets is R100 per person. Soirée in the Cathedral Hall after the concert.
The Banns of Marriage
30th June at 14h00 Joseph Sellar & Jade Esau
28th July at 10h00 Clever Mandeya & Addnice Kafemba Convalidation
25th August at 10h00 Josphat Benhura & Pauline Makato Convalidation