The Thought for the Day
Sleep that knits up the ravell’d sleeve of care is a daily therapeutic miracle, healing the heart. There is a gentle reflection of this in John 11, “Lord, if he has fallen asleep, he will be all right.” Sometimes, it is better to leave things alone and they will come along of their own accord. Parents know this very well … you just have to trust the process / the growth. The typical heresy of our time is not quietism but rather meticulous activism, often declining into pernickety interference. Some things just take time and the courage of non-interference!
You are the mystery at the heart all and in you we put our trust. When we are asleep, when we are awake, you are silently at work. In you, we place our trust. Amen, amen.
The Divine Office – Week III
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- A very warm welcome to Bro David De Freitas, who is a seminarian for the Archdiocese of Cape Town. Currently in his Third Year of Philosophical Studies at St John Vianney National Seminary in Pretoria, he will be doing his pastoral work in the Cathedral parish until 08th
- LAST WEEKEND’S COLLECTIONS
Collections R 6 261, 70 Planned Giving R 2 300, 00
Southern Cross R 1 501, 75 Candle Monies R 1 520, 45
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- THE CLOSING MASS FOR THE BICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IN SOUTHERN AFRICA will take place next Sunday, 24th June at 14h00 in the Bellville Velodrome. The transport to and from the event will leave the Cathedral precincts at 12h00. Payment of transport monies (R90) to be settled by this weekend.
- THE SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY is urgently appealing to parishioners for blankets, containers and food items for the needy. It is cold and many people are going to bed hungry. Food slips are available at the back of the church as a reminder.
- IN THE SOUTHERN CROSS – Cardinal Reinhard Marx visits South Africa; Apostleship of the Sea aids Kenyan sailors; The Story of a true Football Hero; World Refugee Day: Scalabrini Centres in South Africa; Why Exorcisms now take longer. The Editorial: Youth and Truth.
- THE CATHEDRAL OUTREACH – For those individuals who have received wool and have completed their knitting ready for collection and distribution, please contact Anik on 021 439 6987
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least six months notice of your intent to get married. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry.
THE PRAYER FOR RAIN
O God, in whom we live and move, and have our being, grant us sufficient rain,
so that being supplied with what sustains us in this present life, we may seek more confidently what sustains
us for eternity. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
PLEASE NOTE THE FORTHCOMING EVENTS
**24th June at 14h00 CLOSING MASS OF THE BICENTENNIAL in the Bellville Velodrome. Admission will be by ticket only.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE WILL NOT BE A 17H00 HOLY MASS ON THAT SUNDAY AFTERNOON IN THE CATHEDRAL
01st JULY at 10h00 BAPTISMS will be celebrated at the 10h00 Holy Mass. Instruction class will be on Thursday 28th June at 19h00 in the Leslie Johnson Memorial Centre.
Parents and guardians must register their children with the clergy of the parish.
03rd – 06th July Schoenstatt Girls Youth will be hosting their annual “Winter Camp” in Schoenstatt, Constantia. For further information, please check the noticeboards.
07th July at 14h15 BINGO TEA at Zonnebloem Retirement Home 08th July at 19h00 The University Of Warsaw Collegium Musicum Chamber
Choir Concert at the Cathedral. Cost of tickets is R100 per person. Soirée in the Cathedral Hall after the concert.
The Banns of Marriage
30th June at 14h00 Joseph Sellar & Jade Esau
28th July at 10h00 Clever Mandeya & Addnice Kafemba Convalidation
25th August at 10h00 Josphat Benhura & Pauline Makato Convalidation