The Thought for the Day
When is an ending not an ending? Mark takes the huge risk of an apparently negative ending to the story which began resoundingly in 1:1. The ending does not satisfy and never did…and that is Mark’s very point.
To have a neat narrative ending would close the story in the past, whereas Mark forces us to realise that the story goes on the lives of all disciples, then and now. We are the bearers of the Good News, we are the continuation of the story, a story which in truth will never really end, thanks be to God.
Give us the courage, God of the Good News, to take that message into our hearts and lives, into every time and place. Even when we cannot feel it, we know that the Lord is working with us and so we do not lose heart.
The Divine Office – Week III
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S COLLECTIONS
Collections R16 101, 30 Planned Giving R 6 307, 77
Southern Cross R 82, 00
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- SECOND COLLECTION THIS WEEKEND in aid of the Priests Sick Fund of the Archdiocese.
- THE RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION FOR ADULTS (RCIA) – is a process developed by the Catholic Church for prospective converts to Catholicism. Candidates are gradually introduced to aspects of Catholic belief and practices. The next RCIA group will commence on 3 June 2018. Please contact Deacon Steve or Joan Armstrong 082 940 3137 or Ronald Mubaiwa on 083 732 5744 to register for program this year. Registration closes 31 May 2018. The RCIA group will meet at 09h00 each Sunday in the Parish Centre and then attend 10.00am Mass thereafter.
- THE SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY is appealing to parishioners for storage space when donations are received. The storage space needs to be accessible to both the Parish Priest and the SVP Executive.
- IN THE SOUTHERN CROSS – Bishop: Mandela was no ‘sell out’; Theologian Nun 50 years as a Sister; New free app for praying; Social Media: Beware of what you share; With Mary and Jesus in the Holy Land. The Editorial: Our Catholic Identity.
- THE CATHEDRAL OUTREACH – For those individuals who have received wool and have completed their knitting ready for collection and distribution, please contact Anik on 021 439 6987
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
19th May at 16h00 John Ross & Simone Swanepoel Convalidation
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least six months notice of your intent to get married. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry
THE PRAYER FOR RAIN
O God, in whom we live and move, and have our being, grant us sufficient rain, so that, being
supplied with what sustains us in this present life, we may seek more confidently what sustains us for
eternity. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the
Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
16th May at 19h30 PUBLIC LECTURE by Rev. Fr Michael van Heerden – “The Breaking of Bread – The Eucharist yesterday, today and tomorrow’. Fr. Michael is the Parish Priest of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Durbanville, and President-Emeritus of St Augustine’s College of South Africa. Please check the noticeboard for further details.
19th May at 18h00 Mrs Glenda Olsson La Fleur, one of the founders of the Living Rosary Apostolate will address those gathered for the Holy Mass. You may consult www.livingrosaryapostolate.com for more details.
20th May at 17h00 Mrs Glenda Olsson La Fleur, one of the founders of the Living Rosary Apostolate will address those gathered for the Holy Mass. You may consult www.livingrosaryapostolate.com for more details.
27th May at 12h00 THE CATHEDRAL PARISH FÊTE AND FOODFAIR. Venue is St Mary’s Primary School in Tuinplein. If you are interested in having a stall, please contact Inés on 073 334 9631 or Vanessa on 084 725 6382. R100 Coupon Booklets Are On Sale Now!
31st May at 18h00 FIRST PROFESSION MASS for the Congregation of the Sisters of Nazareth (CSN) at Nazareth House Main Chapel.
10th June at 12h00 HOLY MASS AT THE CATHEDRAL to mark the 200TH Anniversary of the Catholic Church in Southern Africa.
08th July at 19h00 The University Of Warsaw Collegium Musicum Chamber Choir Concert at the Cathedral. Cost of tickets is R100 per person. Soirée in the Cathedral Hall after the concert.
THE RESPONSORIAL PSALM SUNG RESPONSE
God mounts his throne to shouts of joy: a blare of trumpets for the Lord, alleluia
Mother’s Day is a celebration honouring the mother of the family, as well as motherhood, maternal bonds and the influence of all mothers in society. So to all the mothers of the parish, we thank you for all that you constantly do for us and wish you a Very Happy Mother’s Day.