The Thought for the Day
There are odd expressions in the Fourth Gospel and in 1 John. It is strange to be commanded to love. Even stranger: “Now by this we may be sure that we know him, if we obey his commandments.” What can “command” and “obedience” have to do with the love, the most free thing of all? It may help to recall that both human nature and divine nature are defined by love. We are being commanded to become what we most want to be in our deepest selves. Obedience here is the invitation to become our truest selves, true to our identity before God and our true to our mission simply as human beings.
You know us more deeply than we know ourselves: may your love go before us always and inspire in us a generous love for our neighbour.
The Divine Office – Week II
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S COLLECTIONS
Collections R 7 608, 25 Planned Giving R 8 787, 77
Southern Cross R 85, 00
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- THE RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION FOR ADULTS (RCIA) – is a process developed by the Catholic Church for prospective converts to Catholicism. Candidates are gradually introduced to aspects of Catholic belief and practices. The next RCIA group will commence on 3 June 2018. Please contact Deacon Steve or Joan Armstrong 082 940 3137 or Ronald Mubaiwa on 083 732 5744 to register for program this year. Registration closes 31 May 2018. The RCIA group will meet at 09h00 each Sunday in the Parish Centre and then attend 10.00am Mass thereafter.
- THE SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY is appealing to parishioners for storage space when donations are received. The storage space needs to be accessible to both the Parish Priest and the SVP Executive.
- IN THE SOUTHERN CROSS – Archbishop: Don’t blame Missionaries; Catholic view on new Hate Speech Bill; May: month of Mary and mothers; When it is good to keep a secret; Finding the real Mary in the Holy Land. The Editorial: The seeds of good preaching.
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
12th May at 10h00 Sven Ruygrok & Francis Catherine Williamson
12th May at 15h00 Laurie Richardson & Samantha de Oliveira
19th May at 16h00 John Ross & Simone Swanepoel Convalidation
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least six months notice of your intent to get married. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry
PRAYER FOR RAIN
O God, in whom we live and move, and have our being, grant us sufficient rain,
so that, being supplied with what sustains us in this present life, we may seek more confidently
what sustains us for eternity. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives
and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
12th May at 09h30 THE SCHOENSTATT GIRLS’ YOUTH are once again hosting a fun day for girls between the ages of 8 and 14 at
Schoenstatt in Contantia. If you know anyone interested please contact us for an indemnity form and to book in for
the day! If you know anyone who might be interested in the please can you pass on the information – we would be
very grateful! Please phone 021 423 8136 and ask for Sr. Ann-Marie Nicholas ISSM
12th May at 10h30 THE ARCHDIOCESAN HEALTHCARE WORKERS ASSOCIATION will be celebrating their annual mass at the
Cathedral. Any Catholics in the healthcare profession are invited to attend.
12th May at 16h00 HOLY HOUR at Villa Maria Shrine to pray for the priests of the Archdiocese.
13th May THE ASCENSION OF THE LORD & MOTHER’S DAY. Please note that same weekend we have a Second Collection in aid
of the Priests Sick Fund.
**27th May at 12h00 THE CATHEDRAL PARISH FÊTE AND FOODFAIR. Venue is St Mary’s Primary School in Tuinplein. If you are interested in having a stall, please contact Inés on 073 334 9631 or Vanessa on 084 725 6382. SEE YOU THERE!!!
31st May at 18h00 FIRST PROFESSION MASS for the Congregation of the Sisters of Nazareth (CSN) at Nazareth House Main Chapel.
**10th June at 12h00 HOLY MASS AT THE CATHEDRAL to mark the 200TH Anniversary of the Catholic Church in Southern Africa.
08th July at 19h00 THE UNIVERSITY OF WARSAW COLLEGIUM MUSICUM CHAMBER CHOIR CONCERT at the Cathedral. Cost of tickets is R100 per person. Soirée in the Cathedral Hall after the concert.
- Please note that Fr. Celestine Okekeofojebe will be away for part of his annual leave from 03rd May until 16th