The Thought for the Day
The image of the Good Shepherd is profoundly reassuring. We hear it today in John’s gospel and elsewhere in the Bible. It evokes a tremendous feeling of being cared for — the consolation of faith. Even in these difficult days, we need such reassurance. At the same time, the metaphor is used in a dissonant way: no regular shepherd, however caring, gives his life for his sheep! Cosy familiarity can dull the sense of shock: what is going on here? The gentle pastoral language suddenly gives way to sacrifice, as the shepherd becomes the Lamb of God.
Jesus our shepherd, we know your care for us was costly as you laid down your life and took it up again. Help us to know again “the great events that gave us new life” in you, that we may hear you and follow you in all we do.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S COLLECTIONS
Collections R 8 236, 95 Planned Giving R 920, 00*
Southern Cross R 70, 00
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- THE RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION FOR ADULTS (RCIA) – is a process developed by the Catholic Church for prospective converts to Catholicism. Candidates are gradually introduced to aspects of Catholic belief and practices. The next RCIA group will commence on 3 June 2018. Please contact Deacon Steve or Joan Armstrong 082 940 3137 or Ronald Mubaiwa 083 732 5744 to register for program this year. Registration closes 31 May 2018. The RCIA group will meet at 09h00 each Sunday in the Parish Centre and then attend 10.00am Mass thereafter.
- THE SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY is appealing to parishioners for storage space when donations are received. The storage space needs to be accessible to both the Parish Priest and the SVP Executive.
- PLEASE NOTE: SECOND COLLECTION THIS WEEKEND – Towards the education of Seminarians in our local and national seminaries.
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
05th May at 14h00 Dale Petersen & Caryn Ziervogel
12th May at 15h00 Laurie Richardson & Samantha de Oliveira
19th May at 16h00 John Ross & Simone Swanepoel Convalidation
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least six months notice of your intent to get married. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry
PRAYER FOR RAIN
O God, in whom we live and move, and have our being, grant us sufficient rain, so that, being supplied
with what sustains us in this present life, we may seek more confidently what sustains us for eternity.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
The Divine Office – Week IV
23rd April at 19h00 PUBLIC LECTURE on The Journey of the Catholic Church towards a Humane Sexual Ethics by Dr Jan Jans of Tilburg University,
The Netherlands. Venue: St Joseph’s Marist College Hall, Belmont Road, Rondebosch.
02nd May at 19h00 HOUSE MASS at the residence of Ms Barbara Wildner. Flat 19, Silvretta Flats, corner of Camp and Kloofnek Roads. Park in Kloofnek Road.
06th May at 10h00 THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM. Parents and guardians, please contact the parish clergy to register your children for baptism.
12th May at 09h30 THE SCHOENSTATT GIRLS’ YOUTH are once again hosting a fun day for girls between the ages of 8 and 14 at Schoenstatt in Contantia.
If you know anyone interested please contact us for an indemnity form and to book in for the day! If you know anyone who might be interested in the please can you pass
on the information – we would be very grateful! Please phone 021 423 8136 and ask for Sr. Ann-Marie Nicholas ISSM
12th May at 10h30 THE ARCHDIOCESAN HEALTHCARE WORKERS ASSOCIATION will be celebrating their annual mass at the Cathedral. Any Catholics in the
healthcare profession are invited to attend.
13th May MOTHER’S DAY
27th May at 12h00 THE CATHEDRAL PARISH FÊTE AND FOODFAIR. Venue is St Mary’s Primary School in Tuinplein. SEE YOU THERE!!!
08th July at 19h00 THE UNIVERSITY OF WARSAW COLLEGIUM MUSICUM CHAMBER CHOIR CONCERT at the Cathedral. Cost of tickets is R100 per person.
Soirée in the Cathedral Hall after the concert.
- Please note that Fr. Celestine will be away for part of his annual leave from 03rd May until 16th