Thought for the Day
There is a core similarity between the four accounts of the death of Jesus in the New Testament. However, they differ in sequence and in details, allow-ing various understandings of the cross to unfold. Because the death of Jesus was and is such a deeply mysterious and indeed perplexing event, different dimensions are explored and laid bare by different New Testament writers. None is starker than Mark’s Gospel: all who knew Jesus have failed him; his only “helper” is a complete outsider, Simon of Cyrene, the unknown passer-by. The only acknowledgment comes from the unnamed Gentile soldier, accidentally present.
O Lord, we tell again of the death of your Messiah, Jesus the Christ. In his story we see the story of your love as you reach out to us in the darkness of tragic death and tremendous suffering. Touch our hearts again with your compassionate love that we may be return to you with all our hearts.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S COLLECTIONS
Collections R 7 947, 30 Planned Giving R 970, 00
Southern Cross R 85, 00 Lenten Appeal R 4 407, 55
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- SECOND COLLECTION THIS WEEKEND IN AID OF THE LENTEN APPEAL.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT WE WILL BE CELEBRATING BAPTISMS ON EASTER SUNDAY AT THE 10H00 HOLY MASS. The Baptismal Instruction Class for those parents and guardians who have registered will be on Wednesday 28th March at 19h00.
- THE CATHEDRAL OUTREACH NEXT BINGO IS ON SATURDAY 07th APRIL at Zonnebloem Old Age Home. April this year marks the Cathedral Outreach’s 20th If you are able to assist, please contact Anik Broadhurst on 021 439 6987
- THE RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION FOR ADULTS (RCIA) – is a process developed by the Catholic Church for prospective converts to Catholicism. Candidates are gradually introduced to aspects of Catholic belief and practices. The next RCIA group will commence after Easter 2018. Please contact one of the priests in this regard.
- THE SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY is appealing to parishioners for storage space when donations are received. The storage space needs to be accessible to both the Parish Priest and the SVP Executive.
- IN THE SOUTHERN CROSS NEWSPAPER THIS WEEKEND: South African Youth in Rome to prepare for the Bishops Synod; Freshly ordained Priest on his first month; New SA Hymn written for Our Lady; The History of the Stations of the Cross; Stars on being St Paul and St Luke in new blockbuster movie. EDITORIAL: The Victory of the Cross.
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least six months notice of your intent to get married. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry
PRAYER FOR RAIN
O God, in whom we live and move, and have our being, grant us sufficient rain, so that, being supplied
with what sustains us in this present life, we may seek more confidently what sustains us for eternity.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
THE EASTER TRIDUUM – 2018
Holy Thursday 29th March 19h30 Cathedral The Archbishop
19h30 Nazareth House Fr Celestine
Good Friday 30th March 09h00 Cathedral Fr Rohan
The Stations of the Cross 09h00 Nazareth House Fr Celestine
15h00 Cathedral The Archbishop
The Veneration of the Cross 15h00 Nazareth House Fr Celestine
Easter Vigil 31st March 20h00 Cathedral The Archbishop
20h00 Nazareth House Fr Celestine
Easter Sunday 01st April 07h30 Villa Maria Fr Rohan
08h45 Nazareth House Fr Celestine
10h00 Cathedral Fr Rohan
21st April at 09h30 ENRICH – TRAINING FOR FACILITATORS. This is a new 4 -part program for couples. It should be presented over 4 consecutive weeks by married couples for other married couples in the Parish. Join us for a morning workshop to look at and learn how to work with this new material.
VENUE: Atrium at the Chancery, from 09h30 to 12h30. COST: Free
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?? Couples who are already involved in the Marriage ministry, Couples wanting to become more involved!
The course is very practical and is meant to help couples improve their relationship skills and to grow closer to one another.
RSVP Joan Armstrong at email@example.com
08th July at 19h00 THE UNIVERSITY OF WARSAW COLLEGIUM MUSICUM CHAMBER CHOIR CONCERT at the Cathedral. Cost of tickets is R100 per person. Soirée in the Cathedral Hall after the concert.
The Divine Office – Week II