Thought for the Day
What does it mean to be saved? We have the secular sense of being rescued or spared somehow. The root meaning of the word in Greek and Latin is to be healed. So, the beginning is some recognition of need, of something fractured, unwell in my life. It includes faith in God who wants us to be both whole and holy, fully alive. The big “sickness” is death itself – from which we are saved/healed through God’s love to us in the lifting up of Jesus in death into resurrection.
Heavenly physician, heal whatever is us is dead or wounded or unfree that we may know the wholeness, freedom, life and joy of the Gospel.
The Divine Office – Week IV
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S COLLECTIONS
Collections R 11 860,90 Planned Giving R 9 507,77
Southern Cross R 75,00 Lenten Appeal R 5 279,70
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- SECOND COLLECTION THIS WEEKEND IN AID OF THE LENTEN APPEAL.
- THE CATHEDRAL OUTREACH HAS RECEIVED A DONATION OF WOOL. They are looking for individuals who can knit or crochet Beanies, Knee Blankets or Baby Booties. If you are able to assist, please contact Anik Broadhurst on 021 439 6987
- ST JOHN VIANNEY NATIONAL SEMINARY’S ANNUAL MAGAZINE – Faith & Reason – is now on sale at R50 each. Should you wish to purchase one, you may do so at the entrances of all churches in the parish.
- THE RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION FOR ADULTS (RCIA) – is a process developed by the Catholic Church for prospective converts to Catholicism. Candidates are gradually introduced to aspects of Catholic belief and practices. The next RCIA group will commence after Easter 2018. Please contact one of the priests in this regard.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT THE LENTEN DEVOTION OF THE STATIONS OF THE CROSS WILL BE PRAYED ON FIRDAY EVENINGS at 18h00 DURING THE LENTEN SEASON both at the Cathedral and Nazareth House.
15th March at 19h00 HOUSE MASS at the home of Margie Cook. Her address is 14A Deerpark Drive, Deerpark Estate.
17th March at 09h30 SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL MEETING in Leslie Johnson Memorial Centre.
20th March at 19h00 PARISH PENITENTIAL SERVICE at Nazareth House Main Chapel.
22nd March at 19h00 ENCORE CHAMBER CHOIR CONCERT at the Cathedral. Cost of tickets is R50 per person.
08th July at 19h00 THE UNIVERSITY OF WARSAW COLLEGIUM MUSICUM CHAMBER CHOIR CONCERT at the Cathedral. Cost of tickets is R100 per person.
Soirée in the Cathedral Hall after the concert.
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
24th March at 15h00 Peter Peté & Nicola Stockley
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least six months notice of your intent to get married. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry
The Young Adults Group of the Parish will be visiting the Ihata Shelter for abused women and children on 25 March 2018. The shelter is situated in Heideveld. They hereby appeal to you to donate toiletries and/or non-perishable food. A basket will be placed at the entrance of the Cathedral over the coming Sundays. Feel free to contact the Parish office too in case you wish to make a cash donation. The shelter looks after 12 Women and 11 children.
You may also contact their chairman, Takudzwa Gutsa on 071 080 7485
HOLY WEEK AND TRIDUUM 2018
Palm Sunday 24th March 18h00 Cathedral
25th March 07h30 Villa Maria
08h45 Nazareth House
Holy Thursday 29th March 19h30 Cathedral
19h30 Nazareth House
Good Friday 30th March 09h00 Cathedral
The Stations of the Cross 09h00 Nazareth House
The Veneration of the Cross 15h00 Nazareth House
Easter Saturday Vigil 31st March 20h00 Cathedral
20h00 Nazareth House
Easter Sunday 01st April 07h30 Villa Maria
08h45 Nazareth House
PRAYER FOR RAIN
O God, in whom we live and move, and have our being, grant us sufficient rain, so that, being supplied
with what sustains us in this present life, we may seek more confidently what sustains us for eternity.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.