Thought for the Day
We live in a very noisy, busy world, a culture marked by constant distraction. Even at the ordinary level of relationship, attending to the other – really hearing him or her – is a challenge. It happens when we choose to make space, to shut out the other noises and graciously attend to each other. Something similar may be said of the life of the spirit. To listen to the Son happens when we choose it and, in a practical way, create spaces in our lives for such encounters.
Revealer God, you open your heart to us in your Son Jesus. Help us to open our hearts to you, as we contemplate your living word. May the Scriptures be for us a place of true encounter and may we, hearers of the Word, listen with our hearts and lives to him, the Word made flesh.
The Divine Office – Week II
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S COLLECTIONS
Collections R 8 350, 90 Planned Giving R 3 310, 00
Southern Cross R 85, 00 Lenten Appeal R 5 680, 00
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- SECOND COLLECTION THIS WEEKEND IN AID OF THE LENTEN APPEAL. ENVELOPES ARE AVAILABLE IN THE FOYERS OF ALL THREE CHURCHES.
- CHURCHES GOT TALENT – The Winner receives R15000 and the Winner’s Church receives R10000. Closed Auditions on Saturday 24th March 2018 at St Agnes’ Catholic Church, 13 Dublin Street in Woodstock. Gates open at 09h00.
Acts will be chosen for the Festival Round on 29th April 2018. Four Golden Buzzers go straight to the Grand Finale on 03rd June 2018.
For Pre-Registration Forms please contact Octavio on 076 460 0360 or Carolina on 076 022 7740. You may also email email@example.com
- THE CATHEDRAL OUTREACH HAS RECEIVED A DONATION OF WOOL. They are looking for individuals who can knit or crochet Beanies, Knee Blankets or Baby Booties. If you are able to assist, please contact Anik Broadhurst on 021 439 6987
- IN THIS WEEK’S SOUTHERN CROSS – Church looks at post-Zuma South Africa; The South African born mystic who heard Christ; Parents called to serve their local schools; ‘Superpope’ takes off for charity; How piracy is still a thing today. EDITORIAL: WITH HOPE INTO SOUTH AFRICA’S FUTURE
- DISCERNMENT CLASSES for those who are contemplating Priesthood or Religious Life are held at the Chancery, next to the Cathedral Offices on Saturday mornings starting at 11h00. The next session will be on 03RD
- ST JOHN VIANNEY NATIONAL SEMINARY’S ANNUAL MAGAZINE – Faith & Reason – is now on sale at R50 each. Should you wish to purchase one, you may do so at the entrances of all churches in the parish.
- THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM IS CELEBRATED EVERY MONTH – If you wish to have your child baptised please contact one of the priests and set up an appointment. The next Baptisms are scheduled for Sunday 04th March 2018. The instruction class will be on Thursday 01st March at 1900 at the Leslie Johnson Memorial Centre.
- THE RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION FOR ADULTS (RCIA) – is a process developed by the Catholic Church for prospective converts to Catholicism. Candidates are gradually introduced to aspects of Catholic belief and practices. The next RCIA group will commence after Easter 2018. Please contact one of the priests in this regard.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT THE LENTEN DEVOTION OF THE STATIONS OF THE CROSS WILL BE PRAYED ON FIRDAY EVENINGS at 18h00 DURING THE LENTEN SEASON both at the Cathedral and Nazareth House.
28th February at 18h00 CATHEDRAL MAINTENANCE COMMITTEE MEETING at the Cathedral Presbytery in Vredehoek.
04th March at 11h45 SHONA MASS. The Celebrant for the Mass is Archbishop Stephen Brislin. You are invited to join the Zimbabwean Catholic
Community for this Holy Mass.
22nd March at 19h00 ENCORE CHAMBER CHOIR CONCERT at the Cathedral. Cost of tickets is R50 per person.
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
24th March at 15h00 Peter Peté & Nicola Stockley
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least six months notice of your intent to get married. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry
For those who attend Sunday Mass at Nazareth House, there is an appeal for volenteers to assist with setting up and assisting serving Coffee and Tea after the 08h45 Holy Mass.
For those who attend Holy Mass, please join the community for some refreshments in the Hall.
PRAYER FOR RAIN O God, in whom we live and move, and have our being, grant us sufficient rain, so that, being supplied with what sustains us in this present life, we may seek more confidently what sustains us for eternity. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
To date, many of the dams in our province have reported levels drastically lower than levels recorded at the same time during previous years. The average storage across the Western Province on 22nd February 2018 was 24.2%.