Thought for the Day
In Italian, Lent is quaresima or forty (days). In German, it is Fastenzeit or time for bodily restraint. Our English word comes from an older Anglo-Saxon word for spring – len(c)ten – whence our Lent. Italian tells us how long it will last (with its symbolic overtones). German tells us what to do in that time. But English tells us what is supposed to happen, that is, we are supposed to experience a springtime of faith, a time growth and new life.
God of new life, bless us on our pilgrim way towards the great feast of Easter. Help us to know our need of your presence, breath your Spirit into our reading of the Word, teach us to set aside whatever hinders our true discipleship so that we may come to life in abundance and know in our hearts the joy of the Gospel.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S COLLECTIONS
Collections R 7 949, 20 Planned Giving R 4 367, 77
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- LENTEN APPEAL ENVELOPES AND BOXES ARE AVAILABLE IN THE FOYERS OF ALL THREE CHURCHES. PLEASE TAKE THEM FOR THE LENTEN APPEAL SECOND COLLECTIONS STARTING THIS WEEKEND OF 17TH AND 18TH
- IN THIS WEEK’S SOUTHERN CROSS – 200 Years Church Jubilee for all of South Africa; How to unclutter your life in Lent; Catholic Actor to star as Saint Luke in new film; Where cows are worth more than people; Tools for a great marriage. EDITORIAL: POPE FRANCIS’ BIG CRISIS
- DISCERNMENT CLASSES for those who are contemplating Priesthood or Religious Life are held at the Chancery, next to the Cathedral Offices on Saturday mornings starting at 11h00. The next session will be on 03RD
- ST JOHN VIANNEY NATIONAL SEMINARY’S ANNUAL MAGAZINE – Faith & Reason – is now on sale at R50 each. Should you wish to purchase one, you may do so at the entrances of all churches in the parish.
- THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM IS CELEBRATED EVERY MONTH – If you wish to have your child baptised please contact one of the priests and set up an appointment. The next Baptisms are scheduled for Sunday 04th March 2018. The instruction class will be on Thursday 01st March at 1900 at the Leslie Johnson Memorial Centre.
- THE RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION FOR ADULTS (RCIA) – is a process developed by the Catholic Church for prospective converts to Catholicism. Candidates are gradually introduced to aspects of Catholic belief and practices. The next RCIA group will commence after Easter 2018. Please contact one of the priests in this regard.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT THE STATIONS OF THE CROSS WILL BE PRAYED ON FIRDAY EVENINGS at 18h00 DURING THE LENTEN SEASON both at the Cathedral and Nazareth House.
18th February at 15h00 ORGAN BENEFIT CONCERT at the Cathedral in aid of the
OUTREACH of Holy Family Catholic Church in Manenberg. The organist is Dr Martin Welzel who is the titular organist at the
Frauenkirche Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising.
Cost of tickets are R100 and R80 respectively. Please see the advertisement on the noticeboards
28th February at 18h00 CATHEDRAL MAINTENANCE COMMITTEE MEETING at the Cathedral Presbytery in Vredehoek.
04th March at 11h45 SHONA MASS. The Celebrant for the Mass is Archbishop Stephen Brislin. You are invited to join the Zimbabwean Catholic Community for this Holy Mass.
22nd March at 19h00 ENCORE CHAMBER CHOIR CONCERT at the Cathedral. Cost of tickets is R50 per person.
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
25th February at 12h00 Liam Sherman Moses & Zenahrea Damon
24th March at 15h00 Peter Peté & Nicola Stockley
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least six months notice of your intent to get married. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry
PRAYER FOR RAIN O God, in whom we live and move, and have our being, grant us sufficient rain, so that, being supplied with what sustains us in this present life, we may seek more confidently what sustains us for eternity. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
To date, many of the dams in our province have reported levels drastically lower than levels recorded at the same time during previous years. The average storage across the Western Province on 15th February 2018 is 24.9%.
“As Lent is the time for greater love, listen to Jesus’ thirst … ‘Repent and believe’ Jesus tells us. What are we to repent? Our indifference, our hardness of heart. What are we to believe? Jesus thirsts even now, in your heart and in the poor — He knows your weakness. He wants only your love, wants only the chance to love you.” – Saint Teresa of Calcutta