Thought for the Day
How often do we meet people whose words and deeds match? Sometimes at least, but it may be rare enough. In the old expression, when all is said and done, more is said than done. Jesus is a teacher with authority – not the authority of position or force but power from within. This is suggested by the Greek word for authority exousia, from within (my) being. Even today, there are religious leaders who speak from within, whose word is genuine, and whose deeds match what they say. These are the ones we listen to; these are the ones we would love to be like.
Loving God, you love us wholly and your desire is that we become both whole and holy. Help us to take the Good News to heart. May we become fully mature in Christ, so that our inner and outer selves are one.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S COLLECTIONS
Collections R 8 177, 90 Planned Giving R 6 555, 00
Southern Cross R 73, 00 Calendars R 20, 00
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- IN THIS WEEK’S SOUTHERN CROSS – What is planned for Blessed Benedict Daswa Feastday; Memories: Sixty Years a Priest; German Bishops: Bless Gay Unions? Tragic death of a young priest; If you want to lead, ask this question. EDITORIAL: FAKE NEWS – DON’T LIE!
- PLEASE NOTE: Mrs Carlene Weitz, the parish secretary, will be away on her annual leave until 31st
- DISCERNMENT CLASSES for those who are contemplating Priesthood or Religious Life are held at the Chancery, next to the Cathedral Offices on Saturday mornings starting at 11h00. The first of these sessions will be on 03rd
- ST JOHN VIANNEY NATIONAL SEMINARY’S ANNUAL MAGAZINE – Faith & Reason – is now on sale at R50 each. Should you wish to purchase one, you may do so at the entrances of all churches in the parish.
- THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM IS CELEBRATED EVERY MONTH – If you wish to have your child baptismed please contact one of the priests and set up an appointment.
- THE RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION FOR ADULTS (RCIA) – is a process developed by the Catholic Church for prospective converts to Catholicism. Candidates are gradually introduced to aspects of Catholic belief and practices. The next RCIA group will commence after Easter 2018. Please contact one of the priests in this regard.
03rd February at 09h30 ST VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY MEETING in the Cathedral Office Boardroom.
06th February at 18h30 CATHEDRAL FINANCE COUNCIL MEETING in the Cathedral Office Boardroom.
07th February at 18h30 CATHEDRAL PASTORAL COUNCIL MEETING in the Parish Room at Nazareth House, Vredehoek
01st February at 13h10 The Catholic Parliamentary Liaison Office will host Holy Mass at the Cathedral on Thursday, 01st February to
mark the anniversary of the passage through Parliament of the Choice on Termination of Pregnancy Act of 1997, and to pray for a
change of heart on the part of all who disregard the rights of unborn children. The Celebrant will be The Very Reverend Peter-John Pearson,
the Vicar General of the Archdiocese.
03rd February at 09h00 The Schoenstatt Family Branch invite you to follow the pilgrim pathway of your marriage together
– A Marriage Camino. The 15 Stations shed light on your path through life with all its ups and downs and encourage you to strengthen
your marriage. It will take place from 09h00 until 16h30 at Schoenstatt, Constantia Main Road, Constantia at a cost of R50 per family.
Bring a picnic lunch. Please RSVP by 30th January. You may contact Marcel Barry on 083 454 2209 or Kathleen Barry on 082 462 1178
04th February 2018 THE PATRONAL FEAST OF THE ARCHDIOCESE OF CAPE TOWN – Our Lady of the Flight into Egypt.
Please note that there are special readings for the Solemnity which are not found in your pew missals.
Please note that there will be a EUCHARISTIC PROCESSION from Holy Cross Catholic Church to the Cathedral. The theme is
The Importance of Marriage and Family in the life of the Church and Society. It will begin at 14h00. After Introductory
Prayers the procession will follow the Blessed Sacrament through the streets of Cape Town and will end at the steps of the Cathedral
where the Archbishop will give a Benediction to all those who are assembled. Please take your own bottled water with you.
08th February 2018 THE OPENING OF PARLIAMENT AND THE STATE OF THE NATION ADDRESS. Please note
that the Chancery and the Cathedral Offices will be closed for the day. There is also no lunchtime mass on that day.
14th February 2018 ASH WEDNESDAY. Mass times, with the distribution of ashes are as follows:
06h45 Villa Maria
07h00 Nazareth House
09h00 The Cathedral
13h10 The Cathedral
19h00 The Cathedral
15th February at 19h00 THE RITE OF ELECTION in the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Flight into Egypt, Cape Town
16th February at 19h00 THE RITE OF ELECTION in the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Flight into Egypt, Cape Town
18th February at 10h00 DAY FOR THE SICK, AGED AND PHYSICALLY CHALLENGED – at Schoenstatt Retreat Centre, Constantia commencing with Holy Mass followed by the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick. Feel free to bring you own picnic lunch or alternatively
catered lunch will be served at R50 per person. For Catering purposes please contact the Shoenstatt Retreat Centre on 021 794 3132 before
10th February should you wish to have lunch catered for you.
18th February at 15h00 ORGAN BENEFIT CONCERT at the Cathedral in aid of the OUTREACH of Holy Family Catholic Church in
Manenberg. The organist is Dr Martin Welzel who is the titular organist at the Frauenkirche Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising.
Cost of tickets are R100 and R80 respectively. Please see the advertisement on the noticeboards
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
10th February at 14h00 Xavier McKechnie & Maxine Thomas
25th February at 12h00 Liam Sherman Moses & Zenahrea Damon
24th March at 15h00 Peter Peté & Nicola Stockley
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least six months notice of your intent to get married. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry
The Western Cape Province is supplied with water by 44 main dams. These dams collectively hold a maximum storage capacity of 1870.4 million cubic meters. To date, many of the dams in our province have reported levels drastically lower than levels recorded at the same time during previous years. The average storage across the province on 24th January 2018 is 26.9%.