Thought for the Day
It is good to stop from time to time and ask myself, what am I looking for? This can be answered in the ideal: “what do I think I should be looking for?” or in the real: “what do I actually want as evidenced by my choices and actions?” To move from one to the other we need the grace of dissatisfaction. In the words of Augustine, “You must be dissatisfied with the way you are now, if you ever want to get to where you are not yet.”
Shake us up, Lord, and help us to see ourselves as we truly are, often settling for less, for the moderately good and the reasonably faithful. Give us a longing for more, for all you have in store for us, and on the way bless us with exhilaration that we may be joyful bearers of your Good News. Amen.
THE PAROCHIAL NOTICES
- LAST WEEKEND’S COLLECTIONS
Collections R 8 706, 00 Planned Giving R 2 900, 00 Southern Cross R 72, 00
Thank you most sincerely for your generosity!
- IN THIS WEEK’S SOUTHERN CROSS – Top Journalist: My way back to the faith; The importance of priests going on holiday; Why families must have a spirituality; South African Church History: Colonialists’ anti-Catholic prejudice; Is there a dress code for Mass? EDITORIAL: A welcoming Church.
- Catechism registration will take place at the Leslie Johnson Memorial Centre on Sunday 14th January 2018 between 08h15-09h15.
Please bring along a copy of your child’s baptism certificate. If they are not baptized yet than a copy of their birth certificate. (Guidance will be given to having your child baptized). In addition bring along a copy of their First Confession certificate and First Holy Communion certificate (if these sacraments have been completed). Please note that if you have transferred from another parish a transfer letter is required.
- PLEASE NOTE: Mrs Carlene Weitz, the parish secretary, will be away on her annual leave until 31st
- PLEASE NOTE: Michael Clement SAC is away on his annual leave until 21st January
- MARIAN COVENANT MASS on Thursday 18th January at 19h30 in the Schoenstatt Shrine at Villa Maria.
- DISCERNMENT CLASSES for those who are contemplating Priesthood or Religious Life are held at the Chancery, next to the Cathedral Offices on Saturday mornings at …. The first of these sessions will be on 03rd
- ST JOHN VIANNEY NATIONAL SEMINARY’S ANNUAL MAGAZINE – Faith & Reason – is now on sale at R50 each. Should you wish to purchase one, you may do so at the entrances of all churches in the parish.
- SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM IS CELEBRATED ON THE FIRST WEEKEND OF EVERY MONTH – If you wish to have your child baptised please contact one of the priests and set up an appointment.
18th January at 18h00 CATHEDRAL PARISH MAINTENANCE TEAM MEETING at the Cathedral Presbytery
20th January at 09h30 ST VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY MEETING in the Cathedral Office Boardroom.
27th January at 09h00 ALTAR SERVERS PRACTICE MEETING in the Cathedral
06th February at 18h30 CATHEDRAL FINANCE COUNCIL MEETING in the Cathedral Office Boardroom.
07th February at 18h30 CATHEDRAL PASTORAL COUNCIL MEETING in the Parish Room at Nazareth House, Vredehoek
25th January at 18h00 Annual Teachers Mass at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Parow. This Mass is for all teachers, not only those who
educate in Catholic Schools
01st February at 13h10 The Catholic Parliamentary Liaison Office will host Holy Mass at the Cathedral on Thursday, 01st February to mark
the anniversary of the passage through Parliament of the Choice on Termination of Pregnancy Act of 1997, and to pray for a change of heart on the part
of all who disregard the rights of unborn children. The Celebrant will be The Very Reverend Peter-John Pearson, the Vicar General of the Archdiocese.
03rd February at 09h00 The Schoenstatt Family Branch invite you to follow the pilgrim pathway of your marriage together –
A Marriage Camino. The 15 Stations shed light on your path through life with all its ups and downs and encourage you to strengthen your marriage.
From 09h00 until 16h30 at Schoenstatt, Constantia Main Road, Constantia at a cost of R50 per family. Bring a picnic lunch.
Please RSVP by 30th January. You may contact Marcel Barry on 083 454 2209 or Kathleen Barry on 082 462 1178
04th February 2018 THE PATRONAL FEAST OF THE ARCHDIOCESE OF CAPE TOWN – Our Lady of the Flight into Egypt.
Please note that there are special readings for the Solemnity which are not found in your pew missals.
14th February 2018 ASH WEDNESDAY. Mass times, with the distribution of ashes are as follows: 06h45 Villa Maria
07h00 Nazareth House
09h00 The Cathedral
13h10 The Cathedral
19h00 The Cathedral
15th February at 19h00 THE RITE OF ELECTION in Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic Church, Lansdowne
16th February at 19h00 THE RITE OF ELECTION in the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Flight into Egypt, Cape Town
18th February at 15h00 ORGAN BENEFIT CONCERT at the Cathedral in aid of the OUTREACH of Holy Family Catholic Church in Manenberg.
The organist is Dr Martin Welzel who is the titular organist at the Frauenkirche Cathedral of Munich and Freising. Cost of tickets to be advised shortly.
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
27th January at 14h00 Sean Smith & Charlotte de Kock
10th February at 14h00 Xavier McKechnie & Maxine Thomas
25th February at 12h00 Liam Sherman Moses & Zenahrea Damon
24th March at 15h00 Peter Peté & Nicola Stockley
Please note that if it is your intention to get married in the Catholic Church, you need to give the Church at least six months notice of your intent to get married. Please contact the Cathedral office to set up an appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry
The Western Cape Province is supplied with water by 44 main dams. These dams collectively hold a maximum storage capacity of 1870.4 million cubic meters.
To date, many of the dams in our province have reported levels drastically lower than levels recorded at the same time during previous years.
The average storage across the province on 4 January 2018 is 29.1%.