Thought for the day To engage with today’s readings, it might helpful to go back in your own mind to someone in your life whom you regard as really wise. When did you become aware of it? Have you benefitted from it? If someone were to ask how would you recognise wisdom and what are its marks, what would you say? Have you learned from your encounters with wise people? Do you desire wisdom for yourself ? Perhaps as parent or friend or family member or colleague. Do you nourish your hunger for the qualities and attitudes which we associate with people who have learned from life?
Prayer All-wise and loving God, the desire for you lies deep within us. Awaken us to the quest for true wisdom that by being true to ourselves we make come to you, the source of all wisdom. Amen.
- THE MORTUARY LIST – Dear Parishioners, the month of November will afford you the opportunity to update the list of the deceased of the parish. Please use the envelopes provided to include the names of the deceased you wish to have masses said. Include these and your stipend in the envelopes and return them either in the collection plate or to one of the priests. Every week masses are celebrated by the clergy of the Archdiocese for all the faithful departed.
- SPECIAL COLLECTION FOR MEXICO – The Archbishop has asked all parishes to hold a special collection this weekend of 11th and 12th November for the Mexicans who were affected by the earthquakes. The donations will be sent to the SACBC Conference who will forward it to CARITAS in Mexico
LAST WEEKEND’S COLLECTIONS
Collections R 8 513, 50 Planned Giving R 6 260, 00 Southern Cross R 80, 00 Prison Ministry R 2 703, 40
NEW HYMNBOOKS – As a matter of urgency, because of the current state of the hymnbooks in the Cathedral, with pages missing and the books being in a bad state of repair we will need to replace the current batch with 300 new hymnbooks. Since the hymnbooks are only printed in England the cost of a hymnal is about R140 each; which means we have to raise R42 000. Thus far we have raised R31 340
If individuals or families which to make donations towards this fundraising drive, please deposit the monies into the Cathedral Restoration Account with the reference HB followed by either your Planned Giving Number or Surname.
Here are the banking details: Name A/c St Mary’s Cathedral Restoration
Bank Standard Bank
Type A/c Current Account
Branch Nº 02 09 09
Account Nº 070 624 623
- IN THIS WEEK’S SOUTHERN CROSS – Politicians should not hijack Church services; Franciscans’ 800 years in the Holy Land; Vatican-Lutheran study on Sharing the Eucharist; Catholics and Mental Health Issues: What to do; Seeing Christ in Pope Francis. THIS WEEK’S EDITORIAL: Gangster Nation SA
- The Young Adults Group of the Cathedral Parish will be visiting the Fikele Children’s Centre in Khayelitsha on 10 December to celebrate Christmas with the children at the home. The Centre looks after 40 HIV+ children aged between 0-8 years old. They hereby make an appeal to all parishioners to donate toiletries and/or non-perishable food. A basket will be placed at the entrance of the church over the coming Sundays. Feel free to contact the Parish Office in case you wish to make a monetary donation.
- PLEASE NOTE: Father Celestine Okekeofojebe will be away on Retreat from Sunday 19th November until Friday 24th
WORLD DAY OF THE POOR ON SUNDAY 19 NOVEMBER 2017. At the conclusion of the Extraordinary Jubilee of Mercy, Pope Francis announced the World Day of the Poor, the aim of which is to appeal to the consciences of believers, sensitizing them to the cries of the poor and the suffering. The motto chosen for this year is, “Love not in word but in deed”.
The voice of the poor calls out to all of the baptised, the many charitable Christian institutions and civil society itself, asking everyone to put forward their best efforts in not only providing fraternal support for the destitute but also in valuing, on both the human and spiritual levels, the very dignity of the one who is poor.
UPCOMING EVENTS OF IMPORTANCE
- ANNUAL MASS FOR DECEASED CLERGY, RELIGIOUS AND BENEFACTORS OF THE ARCHDIOCESE on Wednesday 29th November at 12h00 in St Michael’s Catholic Church, Rondebosch.
- THE CAPE TOWN YOUTH CHOIR’S SUMMER CONCERT WILL BE HELD AT THE CATHEDRAL ON SATURDAY 02 DECEMBER AT 19h30. Tickets can be purchased on www.quicket.co.za
- ADVENT CAROL SERVICE IN THE CATHEDRAL on Sunday 10th December at 19h00. The Choir for the Advent Carol Service is from St Michael and All Angels Anglican Church in Observatory under the direction of Mr Deon Irish.
- PARISH FINANCE COUNCIL MEETING on Tuesday 12th December at 18h30
- THE ORDINATION TO THE PRIESTHOOD of Reverend Shaun Addinall on Friday 15th December 2017 at 19h00 in Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic Church, Lansdowne.
THE BANNS OF MARRIAGE
18th November at 12h00 Sidney Ngbe & Nzebechukwu Oguegbulu
25th November at 12h00 Robert Leke Gana Etoke & Maria Makhabane , at 16h00 David Fang & Briony Bairstow
16th December at 14h00 Kirk Fortuin & Caroline Arendse, at 16h00 Glen Marie & Danielle le Roux
at 16h00 Thomas Brennan & Nina Dreyer
Welcome to the Cathedral Parish! We hope you will be happy here. If you want to register or join our Planned Giving Campaign, please to so either via the parish office or the Parish Website. Direct transfers are also in order.
Account name Bank Type Acc. Branch No. Account Number
St Marys Cathedral Standard Current 020-909 071 564 780